White landau top vinyl

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Steverino

Re: White landau top vinyl

Post by Steverino »

Thanks for the additional information, Alan.

I do have the Jim Osborn reprint of the 1962 Body & Interior Assembly Manual, but not the 1963 supplement or TSB. The original manual talks about "drive nails" that are located all across the front and rear. With the glass gaskets in place, I only see a couple on the corners (and they appear to be VERY difficult to remove). I will be very interested to see how the factory supplement / TSB suggests replacement is to occur...

Off to search for the '63 supplement...
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

So I found a '63 Supplement on eBay and it arrived today...

Unfortunately according to this the windshield has to come out (but not the rear window). One is supposed to remove the factory-installed drive nails (both front and rear - should be a load of fun) and when installing the new top replace the drive nails with 6-32 x 3/8 inch pan head self tapping screws and 0.156 ID x 0.375 OD flat washers.

So, while I'm a bit disappointed about the windshield, at least I know what to replace the drive nails with (assuming I can figure out how to pry them out of the body.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
KMcoldcars

Post by KMcoldcars »

I have done upholstery on collector cars for 25 years and, unfortunately, had to deal with SMS. That is not an attractive option.
When I needed to remove those nasty drive nails I started by lifting them a little with my tack remover. Then when I could get a grip on the head with pliers they could be twisted out. You cannot just pull them out, they must be twisted out. If you have not replaced a vinyl top before I would suggest that you do not try it. When using contact cement and a large piece of vinyl that needs to be placed precisely it would be very easy to screw it up and
have to wait for a new one from SMS. Also, there are various amounts of stretching and pulling to be done in areas before the top is set into the glue. If you do not do that right you could have problems again.
I never liked doing vinyl tops and only did a couple while in upholstery school and one for a good customer. I told him I would HELP him install it. We did and got it on so it looked perfect, but he said he would never do another one. Your decision, and good luck.
1962 Thunderbird
1936 Packard convertible sedan
1991 Corvette, supercharged
2000 Corvette convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
Old guy having fun with cars and a lovely blonde lady.
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Well, after seeking better local options for vinyl top work and not finding much, I finally decided to get things moving myself. Fear and trepidation notwithstanding, this thing needs to get done.

Pulled the windshield last night and started messing with the drive nails. Wow, they are hell. Makes me wonder how many were ever removed successfully. If I don't hit upon a good method soon, I may skip them. I really can't see how necessary they are, given that the entire top is covered with adhesive, and the vinyl is overlapped by the windshield gasket anyway.
IMG_2831.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg
IMG_2841.jpg
Incidentally, upon pulling the interior A pillar trim, I discovered the original dash color. My, how time changes things. Gotta get that thing to Just Dashes!
IMG_2842.jpg
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

At long last, some significant progress! Reinstalled rear window with new gasket. Not bad, not perfect, but hey, my first time!

And then yesterday...
IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg
(sorry for the sideways...they're vertical on my computer. Not sure how to rotate here...)

I was able, through a local rod & custom body shop, to connect with a retired gent nearby who has done a lot of upholstery and some vinyl tops. He was willing to come to my place and yesterday we got the vinyl installed. He pretty much did it the way I expected, based on my research. It wasn't hard, but definitely a two person job, and one that you only get one shot at. Can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me, after all of these months.

Reinstalled the windshield & new gasket tonight, and have been working on polishing up my stainless trim prior to reinstalling it. Will still need to tackle the headliner, but this is a huge step forward.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
stove

Post by stove »

:thumbright: :thumbleft:
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Life keeps getting in the way, but I'm slowly gettin' er done. Have polished all of the exterior stainless trim and have been working on re-fitting it. Today's job has been re-installing the aluminum strips that hold the vinyl down in the roof drip rails. Countersunk rivets are used... (apologies for the rotated pics). Next will be finishing fitting the windshield trim, and then filling the drip rails with white caulk to cover the aluminum strips.
wTQ5mrdDSaG4qmP+ka0vqg.jpg
ATkbJSoIQ2yFN+6FwX7GuA.jpg
%euC3wbURAquTJ4tZBJsIg.jpg
HEQtMzdXSUid6YCCxLmCDQ.jpg
w1yYwattQDCUhc6BkKeuAA.jpg
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

Wow, great job, your patience and attention to detail is commendable. You were lucky to have an additional resource to help with the installation of the vinyl. That second set of hands is something I rarely think about until it is too late.

I have a Princess Grace which had the Rose Beige top but the PO took the easy road and just replaced it with a black one. Given everything you went through on this one, add the dye, I am ok with the Black top. :-)

Thank you for sharing.
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

I imagine someone out there could get you the right color vinyl, but I agree, it would be a journey. I'm not sorry I did this - just wish it hadn't been quite so long & drawn out. Of course, that's at least 50% my fault. I tend to get bogged down when the path forward isn't clear.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

nice Job !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thank you sir!
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

I've enjoyed your whole adventure , both in your research ( with the correct top material) and your hands on adventure ) .It looks GREAT, Ian (Remember Not All Birds Fly South )
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thanks Ian - much appreciated! Oh, and Spring is coming! (thank goodness)
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Finally the weather improved such that I felt like working on the car outdoors (needed the doors open to pull out the back seat & inside quarter trim).

I got the passenger side quarter outside belt retainers removed and reinstalled with the trim just fine. But upon trying to remove the driver's side, discovered that the retainers had their threads buggered up with the wrong nuts. So... I need two of the retainers and nuts. Anybody have good ones laying around? (Part F in the attached diagram).
Attachments
IMG_2973.JPG
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I had a look in the A.M.K. products book, they have some clips and unusual fasteners. On page 247 they have a type 8, looks similar. The number in the M.P.C. doesn't match up with any numbers in the A.M.K. book though.
Maybe somebody else can elaborate.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop