Anyone tried an FI Carb/system?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

comrade

Anyone tried an FI Carb/system?

Post by comrade »

I recently finished up the drive train portion of my Bird and did a wish list of mods in the process. I am not a purest when it come to the engine compartment.

Runs as strong as expected but I went with a 750 carb, shame on me, no choke but for the moment I live in warmer climes but what I do have is the inconsistency of this carb which after 30 minutes of driving or so gives me a flat spot in the acceleration curve but not consistently and can even change from one stop light to the next?

Sooooo, I am researching a FiTech FI Carb? Anyone dealt with such or know of anyone who has? Results? Good / bad, "No way I would do it again" scenarios?

Thank you in advance.
Joe Johnston

Re: Anyone tried an FI Carb/system?

Post by Joe Johnston »

I have not done the FI conversion in question but read of several who have on other forums, with mixed results from those posting. Seems like a lot depends on unit purchased and the ability to fine tune everything. Just like fine tuning a carburetor. What steps have you taken to eliminate your flat spot?? Have you researched different power valves? Linkage adjustments? Timing changes, or a re-curve of the distributor?

In the late 60's I ran a 750 Holley on my 390 GTA. It was way too much carburetor, but as a kid, was seldom below 1500 rpm anyway and the huge flat spot wasn't something I knew how to deal with at the time! Proper tuning should get your carb functioning better. The FI setups I've seen run from about $800 to $1500 and of course your prices, ability, and desire may vary from other's findings. Some small HP gains can be made with FI if that is a goal and it definitely adds another step to the "Cool Factor" at car shows, but good diagnostics and tuning can also yield improvements at minimal expense.

Good luck and if you take the leap please post your results and pictures. I'm sure others would be interested in following.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Haven,t done it myself but intend to in the future. This link from the FE Forum might give you some ideas.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/ ... pic=3815.0
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I put one from Holley on a 66 for a freind. It never gave
The same results as say a newer car. We would get it dialed in then we would have to go back and mess with
It. Tech support was horrible, you could wait forever
To talk to someone. We ended up pulling it off and installing an edelbrock carb. Car runs great now.
I run an edelbrock on my 64 and a Holley carb on the 63.
I have to tinker with the Holley from time to time to keep it smooth.
I bet my freind would make you a great deal on that
FI unit.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
comrade

Post by comrade »

LOL, I will pass on that fine opportunity but thanks. It seems that the FI would be a no brainer but if it was I imagine everyone would have one would they not? I will continue to research.
comrade

Post by comrade »

stubbie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 pm Haven,t done it myself but intend to in the future. This link from the FE Forum might give you some ideas.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/ ... pic=3815.0
Wow, the internet is a wonderful thing
Bigtallbird

Post by Bigtallbird »

I’ve been looking into the various TBI kits from Fitech, Holley and MSD for my build. After discussing it with my engine builder we decided to go for the MSD unit combined with msd distributor. They all,cost about the same. The advantage of the MSD was more tunability with the distributor as well,as their fuel system does not need a return line. The fuel pump is connected to the brains of the tbi so it varies the flow based on need. I dont like the looks of the extra external box though. Im still deep into the restoration so whomknows what will be available in a year...