Vinyl Seat Cover Dye - need sourcing & advice

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Vinyl Seat Cover Dye - need sourcing & advice

Post by stevegintn »

Hey, Guys

It's hunting season so I've been offline for a while. But a little time to work on a side project for my '62 - replacing the rear seats (which are rat-eaten).

I have my '61 parts car, which has PERFECT vinyl seats - only problem is, they are WHITE ('62 has red).

Now I thought about just replacing ALL the seats with the white ones, but my '62 is all RED (except for white headliner).

So I figured a better solution might be just to DYE the white seats?

Has anyone had any luck with dyeing vinyl? (here's the only relevant thread I found: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4071&hilit=seat+cover+dye
Do I need to prep the vinyl with adhearance coating or primer?

I searched most of the suppliers, but found only one product:
http://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_detai ... 144BA1439B

Appreciate any advice!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Re: Vinyl Seat Cover Dye - need sourcing & advice

Post by stevegintn »

P.S. just saw this thread on interior colors: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15556

My '62 seats and interior are same color as ICON 1961 (just not nearly as nice :smile: )
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I have used SEM and DuPont products to dye vinyl with limited good results. I have not used any products labeled as "vinyl paint", only "vinyl dye" so there may be a difference. Best results are on hard surfaces or surfaces that do not get much wear as dashes or kick panels. Soft surfaces that get more wear (like seats or armrests) do not fare as well. Changing to a darker color is better than going from black to white for example. Follow ALL the manufacturer's instructions for best results but do not expect a long term solution for heavy wear areas. I suggest you do it and see how well it holds up for you but expect to re-dye or change the seat covers at a later date.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Joe Johnston wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:57 am I have used SEM and DuPont products to dye vinyl with limited good results. I have not used any products labeled as "vinyl paint", only "vinyl dye" so there may be a difference. Best results are on hard surfaces or surfaces that do not get much wear as dashes or kick panels. Soft surfaces that get more wear (like seats or armrests) do not fare as well. Changing to a darker color is better than going from black to white for example. Follow ALL the manufacturer's instructions for best results but do not expect a long term solution for heavy wear areas. I suggest you do it and see how well it holds up for you but expect to re-dye or change the seat covers at a later date.
Thanks, Joe - I will do that (as for wear, I expect my back seats won't get much? Lol!)

Where do I find the SEM or DuPont products?

Again, here are the 2 I found:

http://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_detai ... 144BA1439B
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndet ... &ukey=2922

One says 'paint', the other 'refinisher' - will they work on vinyl?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
KMcoldcars

Post by KMcoldcars »

A lot of auto parts stores or auto paint stores will have the SEM products. You will need everything recommended by the manufacturer, such as the vinyl cleaner, the adhesion promoter and the color spray. Follow the instructions exactly and the results well be great on areas that get little wear but will not hold up for a long time on seat cushions. I have used the SEM products a couple of times during the 25 years when I did upholstery on collector cars.
For a lasting quality job have an upholsterer redo the covers.
1962 Thunderbird
1936 Packard convertible sedan
1991 Corvette, supercharged
2000 Corvette convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
Old guy having fun with cars and a lovely blonde lady.
tbird

Post by tbird »

If you are going to recolor the 61 covers it will be a relative easy change. I use nothing but Dupont Master Tint Vinyl Dies and have only had a issue once with the seat becoming slightly tacky on a hot humid day but the color never came off even when my wife had white slacks on or did not wear through. To address the problem my paint supplier sent the Dupont rep out to look at the problem and they supplied new dye and paid my labor to refinish everything, no problems after that.
You need to follow their tech sheet in preparation and re-coat times to the letter and the first item to make sure you do is scrub the seats a couple of times with good hot water and a good degreasing soap with a good water rinse then use vinyl prep and just before I spray the dye I give it a quick wipe with lacquer thiner which will temporary soften the surfac and allow the dye to get a good bite. Apply at least two coats it flashes off and can be recoated in 15 minutes or so. It can be recoated with itself at any time as long as you clean the surface again.

This is not a cheap product will likely be in the area of 100-125 a quart which is ready to spray and has a great shelve life, I have cans that are resealed tight and are still usable 10 years later. Your paint shop will custom mix the product to your formula or they may have one on file for the red you want and can put it in rattle cans.

Dupont has been bought out by AXALTA a world giant and is sold under their Cromax brand.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

I have used SEM with great satisfaction. A trick I learned from Don Paddock, local Vintage T-Bird expert (deceased): wipe down the areas to be colored with Lacquer Thinner shortly before using SEM. It opens the pores of the vinyl and is a lot cheaper than vinyl preps and IMHO it works better than vinyl preps too. When taping the Welting I apply a piece of tape about 1/16" wider than needed (on each side of Welting) and tuck that extra down alongside the Welting with a fingernail. That assures the Welting is completely covered from overspray. Got excellent results throughout the entire interior. All vinyl looks brand new. Murf
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

[quote=surfmurf post_id=97539 time=1534558956 user_id=2465]
I have used SEM with great satisfaction. A trick I learned from Don Paddock, local Vintage T-Bird expert (deceased): wipe down the areas to be colored with Lacquer Thinner shortly before using SEM. It opens the pores of the vinyl and is a lot cheaper than vinyl preps. IMHO it works better than any vinyl prep too. When taping the Welting I apply a piece of tape about 1/16" wider than needed (on each side of Welting) and tuck that extra down alongside the Welting with a fingernail. That assures the Welting is completely covered from overspray. Got excellent results throughout the entire interior. All vinyl looks brand new. Murf
[/quote]

Addendum (01 Sept '18): I have never found it necessary to use anything other than Lacquer Thinner as a Prep. Then applying the SEM within a 1/2 hour or so. If you goof, Lacquer Thinner will take the SEM off also - and ruin your Liver too! I've never had a "sticky" problem or softness due to heat or any other form of a malfunction with SEM. Color holds for YEARS with absolutely NO issues. I could be a Rep for this product - on a scale of 1-10 it is a 12 or 13. Love it. I'm 79, so I have been doin' this 'stuff' for a while fellow Birders. Be sure to give it plenty of time to DRY before you put anyone's butt on it - haste makes waste!