Original Air Conditioning (1962)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

1962birdlover

Original Air Conditioning (1962)

Post by 1962birdlover »

Hi,

My A/C started to make a grinding noise when the system is off. Its seems to be getting louder and louder. When I turn the A/C on, the noise goes away. I have Checked the bolts and belts and it is blowing very Cold. The right hand side (Drivers side) of the A/C unit is Cold when I touch it after it has been running. IS that normal? Nothing seems to be loose. Could it be a bearing slowly grinding away? ? I,m looking at the manual and it shows a plate. Is the bearing internal?
orthodoc

Re: Original Air Conditioning (1962)

Post by orthodoc »

The fact that it makes the noise only when the compressor is not engaged is usually a good sign something has gone awry with the clutch mechanism. The clutch allows the pulley to spin freely about the compressor when the AC is off. There is a bearing on this part too. When the air is turned on, the clutch engages the pulley to the compressor drive shaft. I'd start there

Tyler
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

Thanks. I see only the Compressor attached to the crankshaft by the belt. I should be ok take the belt off and drive until I find out whats wrong and the parts arrive or should I unhook the electrical as well?
jrfjr

Post by jrfjr »

If the belt is only driving the AC compressor, then you should be OK just removing that belt, and driving the car. I wouldn't worry about removing any electrical plugs from the compressor-just don't turn on the AC-but if you did, I can't see how engaging the clutch on a static compressor could hurt anything. If anyone has different experience here, please chime in!

I agree, it sounds like the AC clutch is giving up. Not a bad job to replace (at least in my experience). GL, Jim
Jim
'63 Landau, Corinthian White w/white vinyl top, red interior
VTCI #12527
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

As I look at page 43 of the electrical manual, I am confused how the belt comes off the compressor. It looks like the the whole compressor lifts off the bottom flange plate but the pulley looks like it unscrews and comes off. Where does the slack in the belt fit in to get pulley on and off. Sorry for the simple but I just ant see it. I just want to take off the a/c belt now with the idea of taking the clutch off later if the plate or bearing is the issue. Also thinking about putting it back on. Thanks for your help and patience.

Thanks for everyones comments.
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

In order to remove the belt you will need to loosen the mounting bolts on the compressor. You should be able to remove only some of the bolts, allowing the compressor to swing down, thereby loosening the belt. This works in a similar way to how our power steering belts are tensioned. Check in the service manual, it has some detailed photos of how to separate the magnetic clutch from the compressor for repair. I think you will find it very useful.
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

Thanks. I will look again at the diagrams. The grinding noise is getting louder.
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Yes, the a/c compressor has ITS OWN belt, and you can remove it (as described) and continue to drive the car (that's what I did on mine, altho I never got to drive mine on the ROAD and it may never be again?).
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

There will be a idler pulley that is adjustable and acts as a belt tightener for the A/C compressor unbolting the compressor is not the way to adjust the belt. It certainly sounds like the bearing has failed in the clutch, if you have the tools and skills the bearing can usually be replaced if not order a new clutch unit. I would suggest that you unplug the wire going to the clutch at the compressor this will stop power for accidentally being applied to the magnets in the clutch which does draw some major power.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

Thanks for all the info. According to the shop manual, the 1962 the way to loosen the belt would be to loosen the 4 bolts on the flange and slide the unit. I don't think the idler pulley that tightens the belt started until 1964.

What size bolt pulls the pulley off? I thought it was 5/8-11 but that seems to big. I can only thread that on a 1/2 turn and it stops dead.
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

I finally got the clutch off. The threads in the shaft hole were real dirty. I cleaned the threads and slowly got the bolt to thread. After calling around the cost to get these rebuilt is prohibited. Not to mention shipping the 40lb rock. I have a bearing ordered but can anyone suggest any cleaning tips for the clutch?
1962birdlover

Post by 1962birdlover »

Thanks for the help and direction. I have to learn to use the search function better so as not to bother anyone with simple questions. :n00b:
Paxosstu

Post by Paxosstu »

Hey sorry for reviving such an old post but I’m looking for a replacement clutch pulley for my 62 T Bird ac compressor, trouble is I’m in UK. I also need to buy a suction hose/pipe as the damn courier broke it off whilst delivering it to a service shop. Any advice would be much appreciated