Dash Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

rob280

Dash Lights

Post by rob280 »

I just redid my entire interior and put the car back together Tuesday, everything was fine. Now I have no dash lights, unless I twist the headlight knob all the way to the left. Then the dash lights and console light come on. When I close the doors all the interior lights go off along with the dash lights, I thought when you turned the knob all the way to the left they would stay on. I picked up a new switch same thing. Could I have gotten another bad switch? This has me so frustrated and the car is finished except for this.

Rob
VTCI #12547

1963 Thunderbird Landau
1976 Mercedes 280S
2004 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab
MN63Tbird

Re: Dash Lights

Post by MN63Tbird »

rob280. You may have a bad switch but two in a row is kind of unlikely. I would suspect that it may be the wiring to that switch. The instrument panel lights come from a Blue Red wire from the fuse box to the switch. The courtesy lights come from a Yellow red wire from the fuse box(different fuse) to the switch. They do not attach to the same post on the back of the switch. The switch has a black power wire from the battery that is always hot. I believe the courtesy light wire is there only to tap off that power.

Turning the light switch turns a variable resistor that changes the intensity of the light. Dash lights would only come on once the headlight switch is pulled back part way for parking lights or full for headlight. It sounds like the doors lights work the way they are suppose to. I would suspect the dash light wire being either not wired to the correct post or somehow it is short circuited with the door wires some place. That may be why you need to turn the interior lights up all the way to get enough power to light the dash if part of the circuit is being drained to someplace else. My approach would be trying to run separate wires from the fuse box over to the light switch to see if each circuit works the way it is suppose to when it has power. That way you eliminate any short circuiting that could be occurring along the way Good Luck

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
rob280

Post by rob280 »

I'm really hoping it is just the switch, I ordered one from Wilson Tbird. They said the standard brand is a lot better. Do you have a wiring diagram you can send me. I will keep you posted, thanks. I will check out the wiring.
VTCI #12547

1963 Thunderbird Landau
1976 Mercedes 280S
rob280

Post by rob280 »

Also, I noticed my trunk light was not working. It had power going to it but would not turn on. I then switched it with the dome light feed wire in the turnk and it came on, would this indicate a short?
VTCI #12547

1963 Thunderbird Landau
1976 Mercedes 280S
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

The trunk light looks like it is in the same mix as the other lights. Still sounds like the wiring at the switch is not correct or the internals of the switch are not connected to the correct posts. Anyway an investment in a wiring diagram is a good suggestion. Pat Wilson and almost all the TBird vendors sells them for around $7. I would get that over the electrical assembly books first. The assembly book is a bit confusing at times. With a 50+ yr old car it is almost guaranteed you will have more electrical issues down the road at some time unless you have completely rewired the car. There are a couple of wiring diagram pages in the manual that together reference your 3 issues.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day,
I take it that your car is a 63. If you are going to purchase a wiring diagram make sure it is the correct one. I purchased one that is just a wiring diagram supposably for a 63 however some of the schematics are just not quite right. They are more similar to a 62.
Get a copy of the of the manual that they used in the factory by Ford. I forget the name of it but it is a lot better. It is a lot similar to a 64 wiring diagram, it has the alternator schematic in it.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
tbird

Post by tbird »

Here is a list of the books that will help you with tracking down issues with you Thunderbird, for the little bit that they cost the best investment after purchasing the car.

Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as there were many changes made from one
model year to the other.
Most of these items should be available from your favorite Thunderbird supply house or
directly from Jim Osborn Reproduction, cost will be about 125.00 plus shipping cost
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
rob280

Post by rob280 »

Hey all!

I fixed my problem, it was the 12 amp circuit breaker for the auxiliary lights. I moved the wires to the ho side of the breaker and it worked. I found a wiring diagram online. I have most of the books mentioned above, the restoration guide was invaluable for restoring my interior. It was outputting current but just not enough. Now my dash and interior lights worked as they should and my trunk light came back on as well, the trunk light connected to the same breaker. Thanks everyone.
VTCI #12547

1963 Thunderbird Landau
1976 Mercedes 280S
Jim Patterson

Post by Jim Patterson »

rob280,

I am just about finished putting together my interior and have the identical problem you encountered! I too tried two different light switch mechanisms, but still no dash lights.

You state: "it was the 12 amp circuit breaker for the auxiliary lights. I moved the wires to the ho side of the breaker and it worked"
I'm not following....what 12 amp circuit breaker, and where is it located/mounted? Do you have a pic?
Thanks
Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I fixed my problem, it was the 12 amp circuit breaker for the auxiliary lights. I moved the wires to the ho side of the breaker and it worked.
I am not familiar with the 63 wiring changes as I have a 62. Regardless, if you circuit breaker is bad, connecting your wire to the hot side is an extremely dangerous thing to do. I would change the circuit breaker ASAP
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
Jim Patterson

Post by Jim Patterson »

Ignore my post above. I figured out my problem.

I had everything together and installed in the interior exceptthe gauges. The dash light wires were just hanging there. I expected them to work, but they didn't. While scanning the wiring diagram I noticed that each light is shown as being grounded. What? I thought each bulb's housing was plastic, how can that get a ground? Went into the garage and had a look. Each bulb socket has two metal tabs around its perimeter that provide the ground once the socket is installed on the gauge. I touched the socket's metal tab to the housing and viola.....the light comes one! Doh.... :lol:
Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop