New T-Bird Owner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

New T-Bird Owner

Post by stevegintn »

Guys, I am the proud new owner of a '62 T-Bird, complete car (well, almost), 390 and red-on-red.

My first task is to get her RUNNING (needs a gas tank - it was GONE - have a replacement and soon as weather permitting, I will install.
(she runs, as long as shooting starting fluid in carb - always a good sign?)

Then I will get her STOPPING (brake pedal now on the floor, but hoping a simple 4-wheel replace will do it).

I am sure I will have a ton of questions, going forward - wish me luck!

Steve G. in Memphis, TN.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
ICON 1956

Re: New T-Bird Owner

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome to the our forum, We have a great group of Tbird fanatics here that are willing to share their technical knowledge. It would be nice to take a few pictures of your new addition. But first since you are a newbie to this classic automobile you should have these reading materials first before you begin any restoration.
I would suggest :
The Thunderbird 1962 Shop Manual (a must!) You can find this on E Bay for approx. $35.00
also the many Jim Osborn reproduction assembly Manuals that get into detail from Body/Interior Assembly, Electrical Assembly, each approx. $16.00 to $25.00...you can go on line to order these www.osborn-reproduction.com
If you want to totally restore your bird to factory spec's you should also get the from our club the Original Factory Specification Manual Vol 4.
We also like to support our Advertisers That we buy our parts from here is a list of a few
www.Larrystbird.com
www.tbirdparts.com
www.wilsontbird.com
www.tbirdhq.com
When you receive our bi monthly magazine "Thunderbird Scoop" you can find many other helpful how to tips and conventions to attend.
Again welcome and please chime in as much as possible. Good Luck !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Many thanks, ICON 1961! - first thing I bought was the '62 shop manual :smile:

How do I post pics?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

If you look to the top of the section,there is a sticky, telling you the process.. I am told it is easy, but have not been able to on my home computer, but that is do to my poor internet provider and its speed. My service I have is the best I can get, do to the fact I am in a valley.
Regardless, great to have you aboard. Some have already told you the info you need, so i will not repeat it.
Just ask any questions, and the members here will do our best to answer.

Welcome

Wally
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Got it - thanks, Wally!

Here's my baby:

Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

She looks great ! I see you have a nice looking German Shepard I had the same color Black and Tan. Great dogs !
Here was mine before TLC

Here she is after a lot of TLC !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Sweet! - I wish I had a garage like that (it's 19 here now, or I'd be out installing that gas tank? Lol!

Yes, we love our GSD Bella - she's 4 now, and a part of the family :smile:
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Welcome to the forum too! I am a fan of Red on Red Tbirds. Just a note to be careful removing that old tank. In the news today in the Twin Cities there was a house fire from someone changing out a gas tank in their garage.

I changed mine out due to a leak where the filler tube attaches last spring. I could never get a good seal between the tank and the filler tube even with new gaskets at that location Pumped all the gas out as I could then put some water in to reduce the flammability since I was not going to use the tank again. The old tank did not have a drain plug but from the photo here you can see the new one does. I still made sure the tank was well grounded as I lowered it with a hydraulic jack since there are still some volatile fumes inside. Its a fairly easy job mechanically only a couple bolts around the filler nozzle, disconnect the gas line and level indicator through the trunk and 2 large bolts that hold the tank straps up behind the bumper. The largest part of the job is the prep before starting to safely remove things and then after installation resetting my float for the tank level. Needed to do a little bending of the arm to make sure I had a good linear indication as the tank went from full to empty.

Good luck!
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks, MN63! - I don't have to worry about that, because the old tank is GONE Lol!

and I don't have a garage to work in (just under a carport), so soon as it warms up a little (about 30 right now) I will be out there to get started :smile: :smile:
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Btw, my new filler tube was back-ordered, so hope to be able to fill and test my new tank, without it?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Steve, Not sure how much you can fill the tank without the filler nozzle. You may be able to get it a little over half full. You probably want to make sure it is still empty as you put in the nozzle. Anything that can prevent a spark due to static electricity that would ignite gas fumes is advised. Not having any gas in the tank would completely eliminate that issue . With the tank out you may want to make sure the fuel sensor is adjusted properly. One advantage now is that you can see the level float inside the tank from the filler hole. I took this photo after first putting in the level. I found it was resting on the bottom for a significant portion of the travel. It would read a quarter tank when there was empty. I bent the arm so that it would read empty when it was at the bottom of the tank.

It was 10 below here yesterday morning. My garage is attached so it was still a toasty 20F. I find that it does need to be in the mid 40s at least to start working on cold car parts with any reasonable degree of comfort. Fortunately in Memphis you should be there in a few weeks.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks again, MN63! - so is that pic the BEFORE or the AFTER you adjusted the float rod? (should it be completely on the bottom, or just OFF the bottom?). Re fire hazard, I guess I could wait to test it, til I get the filler tube? (or, drain the tank?). But you have convinced me to install the sensor unit BEFORE I install the tank.

We're supposed to hit 50 here today, so I will be spraying my new tank with the 3M undercoating. Tomorrow will be 60, so I will start the install!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

OK, got the new tank in the house, warming up - a dumb question: is this the gas line port (lower-left front) - also, what's the hanger-tab on the side? (one on other side, too)

Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

60 degrees wow. We wont get that until April if lucky. From the photo that looks like the drain plug. The old tank I took out did not have one so I had to pump all the gas out. The sender/ fuel line goes in from the top. Here is another photo of the parts minus the fill tube. I tried to mark the openings. Dont worry about the tabs on the side of the tank.

The sensor unit can be adjusted with the tank out looking at the height of the float. The photo is before I bent the arms. I had the float just off the bottom. You can see in the other photo the fill tube does not touch the bottom of the tank. I adjusted the mid line of the float when in the full down position to be at the level of the fill tube entrance. If you want to test the electricals of the sensor to the gauge on the dash you need to ground the tank to the car. The sensor is basically a variable resistor on the 5 volt line for the gauge. You will need to remove the sensor/fill tube assembly and reinstalled after the tank is in. The sender/ fill unit inserts into an opening in the trunk floor just in front of the spare tire. Should be a plate there with one screw to remove. Did you purchase a new sender assembly? I comes with the gasket and lock nut.

Here is the tank and parts pic i had.

1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Like red T Birds? Check!

I really like the look of this era Bird, although I own one from a different design timeline.

There is just something about the front end, and the tail lights that looks right.

Don't tell my father in law, as he owned a series of 65 and 66's!

Good luck with the work on it, you have found a great community with a lot of insights.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047