Engine Compartment Detail

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ICON 1956

Engine Compartment Detail

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice about the details on what color the Air cleaner, Valve covers and placing decals should be here is a picture of before
image hosting 10mb limit
picture after please note I haven't received the Keep "fingers clear" decal yet! according to the Original Factory Spec's vol 4 I will be placing it lower than near the top of the fan shroud
pic hosting
anything else I need to do?....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
60fore

Re: Engine Compartment Detail

Post by 60fore »

Looks very nice ICON! A few suggestions though:

- The previous placement of the "Caution - Fan" decal was correct

- Tower style clamps were used on the radiator hoses rather than worm-gear clamps

- Master cylinder lid and oil filler cap should be semi-gloss black

- Order one of the repro radiator caps from a T-Bird vendor, they look much more authentic than those ones with the lever

- This generation of Bird did not use a hold-down bracket over top of the battery. Repros of the formed sheet metal clamp and carriage bolt that were used on the lower driver's side of the battery are available from the vendors.

Tend to that stuff and you'll be ready for underhood judging at any VTCI event! :cool:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

ICON,
It is looking much better.

I spy something wrong with your vacuum canister. I do not see the nipples at the top. It looks to me as if it is in upside down.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

ICON, have you bought the 61-63 OFS? it's available for sale in the country store to VTCI members. With all the money you've spent so far, that seems like a great value for a small price, and you wouldn't have to wait for others to pick apart your pictures. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

To answer the question YES I have the OFS booklet! Thanks for your input you are correct that the vacuum canister IS mounted upside down, So I quickly went back in the garage to correct it.
images
as for the placement of the CAUTION decal the vtci original factory spec shows that it should be placed at a lower area:I have a new one ordered so please tell me were to place it EXACTLY!
Now for the radiator cap this came with the car:
free image host
ok our vtci factory spec's shows a Rotunda radiator cap just like the one I have:
image hosting
picture share
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Here are a couple of more things I noticed:

I do not see bolts to the rear of the fan shroud cover. Are you missing your fan shroud, or just those two top bolts? They should be 5/16-24 x 1/2 held in with a j-nut on the shroud. That exact bolt is hard to find, but there are substitutions that will work. Jim Wulf covered this in a recent Scoop article. Let me know if you want more details.

Where did you get the Rotunda radiator cap? It's only rated 4lbs. The one you removed was 13lbs. You may want to get the plain zinc ones that are rated 14lbs from a T-Bird supplier. The higher pressure will increase your boiling point and cooling efficiency. You can see the difference with this chart. I looked up Mokena, IL and you are at 700' elevation. A 4lb cap will protect you to about 223ºF whereas a 14lb cap will get you closer to 245ºF, a substantial difference.

Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Re: Placement of the fan decal. The line in the OFS book points to the general area but you can see the outline of where the decal should be placed on the "hump" of the radiator shield. It would be impossible to place the decal lower down on the shield as the center bolt would be in the way.

As for the radiator cap it wasn't clear from your original picture what brand it was so I assumed it was one of those generic replacements.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I think this is the cap that you want. These are 14psi caps.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund ... 58-66.html
Here is one from Concours Thunderbird: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50000051d

As for the placement of the fan shroud decal, I had a lot of trouble getting mine on without it wrinkling on the bottom, so bad in fact, that I tore it off and got another one. I had to place it very close to the lip above it. This picture is from a document that Jim Wulf sent me that shows the NOS decal at top and repro below. Notice the difference in height vs. width. Just keep that in mind when installing it.

Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
eb88

Post by eb88 »

Looking good ICON! Some great tips here
VTCI #12029

'55
'62 Sports Roadster
'63 Sports Roadster
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

ICON 1961 wrote:as for the placement of the CAUTION decal the vtci original factory spec shows that it should be placed at a lower area:I have a new one ordered so please tell me were to place it EXACTLY!
As others have noted, the outline for the decal is shown on the shroud: the line did not get extended all the way to the decal. I prepared these drawings in 1990-1991 and this is the first time I recall someone calling it into question in the nearly 25 years they've been in in the Concours Rules/Original Factory Specifications. That's why there's also photos elsewhere in the section of fan shrouds with the decals in place.
ICON 1961 wrote:Now for the radiator cap this came with the car:
free image host
ok our vtci factory spec's shows a Rotunda radiator cap just like the one I have:
image hosting
picture share
The Rotunda cap in the OFS is from my personal collection (I actually had it on a '63 Galaxie I used to drive back in the early '90s), very beat up but still providing an illustration of an original one when no others were available. This is the first time I've seen a picture of a like-new Rotunda pressure cap. Personally, I'd use one of the reproduction two-ear caps and keep the Rotunda one set aside for conversation purposes at a show, but then again I suffer from OCD when it comes to this kind of thing.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster