62 Convertible Deck Lid Adjustment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

kbuhagiar

62 Convertible Deck Lid Adjustment

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hello Folks,

I may need to adjust the deck lid on my 62 Convertible fore and aft. The manual has a vague mention about 'slightly loosening hinge bolts' to accomplish this. The deck lid is attached to the rearward hinges by two bolts on either side, and are perpendicular to the ground when closed, which would allow for up-and-down adjustment but I cannot understand how I can adjust fore-and-aft with these bolts.
62 TB hinge.jpg
62 Tbird hinge.jpg
Obviously I am overlooking another point of adjustment, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
Jim Wulf

Re: 62 Convertible Deck Lid Adjustment

Post by Jim Wulf »

Yes, there is fore and aft adjustment of the deck lid through means of the bolts & slotted holes securing the hinges to the body brackets. Unfortunately, they're located behind the bumper and that means..... you guessed it.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Thanks Jim...I should have known. :lol:

Anyway, in an earlier reply to another one of my posts you mentioned that the mechanical bolts that lock down the deck lid also pull it forward a bit - how much farther is that? I'm trying to determine if I have the deck lid adjusted correctly fore/aft. Seems to me that the only accurate way of doing this is by removing both lock bolt receptacles temporarily and then fully lowering the deck lid to check the gap before the lock bolts engage - does this sound like a viable method?

Thanks again.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Ken,

Here's some photos of what I consider to be an "as perfectly as possible" aligned deck lid on the '62 SR that I'm currently restoring. If the fore and aft adjustment is correct, the lid will line up perfectly with corner of the rear quarters as shown in pics 2 and 4. Leave your receivers installed "as is" for now and check that alignment. If the alignment is off, you'll need the receivers installed in order to correct it. I've never resorted to removing the receivers to adjust the lid. The receivers are integral to the process. Also, I always use original Q rubbers when doing a restoration. The reproductions, and I use the the term loosely, do not fit a convertible worth a damn and you'll never get the deck lid right if you try to use them. That's my opinion anyway.
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2652.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2647.jpg
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Wow, that fit is magnificent.

Thanks for the reference.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
WNC Bird

Post by WNC Bird »

Jim

The alignment pics you posted are a great reference. Unfortunately the alignment on my convertible looks nothing like that. I now have a new item on my tickering around list.

Where do you find original Q rubbers? Mine are distorted. Are they available from our vendor supporters?

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Ken K
1962 Corinthian white convertible
Past birds
1977 Town Landau
1978 t-top
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

WNC Bird wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Jim

The alignment pics you posted are a great reference. Unfortunately the alignment on my convertible looks nothing like that. I now have a new item on my tickering around list.

Where do you find original Q rubbers? Mine are distorted. Are they available from our vendor supporters?

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Ken K
Original Q rubbers aren't available anywhere that I know of unless a used parts vendor has some, or you can find a set on a junkyard car. I collected a bunch of usable rubbers years ago when there were still TBirds in the junkyards around here. Unfortunately those days are long gone.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

***FOLLOW-UP***

After adjusting my deck lid locks as best as possible, it looks like I will need to do further work on the deck lid alignment. With the deck lid locked I have a 3/8" gap between the leading edge of the deck lid and the package tray. Also, the right edge of the deck lid needs to come down about 1/4".
right side deck body gap.jpg
left side deck body gap.jpg
right rear deck lid edge.jpg
right rear edge.jpg
I've resigned myself to the necessity of removing the rear bumper to access the bumper hinge bolts.
Can someone please confirm that I will be able to lower the right side of the deck lid at this adjustment point also?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

kbuhagiar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:05 am ***FOLLOW-UP***

After adjusting my deck lid locks as best as possible, it looks like I will need to do further work on the deck lid alignment. With the deck lid locked I have a 3/8" gap between the leading edge of the deck lid and the package tray. Also, the right edge of the deck lid needs to come down about 1/4".

right side deck body gap.jpg

left side deck body gap.jpg

right rear deck lid edge.jpg

right rear edge.jpg

I've resigned myself to the necessity of removing the rear bumper to access the bumper hinge bolts.
Can someone please confirm that I will be able to lower the right side of the deck lid at this adjustment point also?

Thanks in advance.
Ken, Lowering the deck lid at the back is accomplished by adjustment of the bolts securing the lid to the hinges as pictured in your first photos in this thread. Fore and aft adjustment is by means of the hinge bolts located under the bumper.

It appears that you have reproduction Q rubbers, which, as I've said before, don't fit worth a damn on a convertible. Their presence will make it very, very difficult to achieve any downward adjustment of the deck. I wish there was a soution for this constant issue, but until those rubbers are corrected by the vendors, it will continue to present problems. I have trie to modify them without success, but maybe someone more talented than me has figured out a way to successfully alter them.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige