1959 Thunderbird transmission coolant lines

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
alangoldberg

1959 Thunderbird transmission coolant lines

Post by alangoldberg »

Hello,

I am a new member and am looking for information regarding the installation of transmission coolant lines on a 1959 Thunderbird that I am reassembling, after it was worked on by four different mechanics over a multi year restoration that was interrupted repeatedly by Covid. I have brought the car and its various parts home and am trying to complete it and it get it running.

It has a 352 engine and Cruise-O-Matic transmission. The transmission was rebuilt and installed, but now needs the coolant lines installed. I have a set of lines that was supposed to be exact fit, but appears to be highly generic and will require extensive modification. Also, my dexterity is not great and I think it will be a very difficult to get them in. I am contemplating using flexible, rubber lines, either all the way, or clamped to short sections of the steel lines that came in the purchased set. Is this is reasonable way to proceed? I do not expect that the car will be driven much and certainly not in harsh situations.

Also, I have located two female fittings on the body of the transmission. They are both on the passenger side, at the front of the case. One is just above the pan and the other is about two inches higher. I believe these to be the coolant connections, but I do not know which is the inlet and which is the outlet.

I would appreciate any information regarding my plan and the inlet/outlet locations.

Thanks for your help.

Alan