430 Starter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
bbktexas

430 Starter

Post by bbktexas »

From what i have read the Tbird 430 uses an inertia starter gear (long nose). The Lincoln uses a solenoid starter engagement (short nose). Since the engine, transmission, flywheel, and headers are the same why could I not use the Lincoln starter? Since the Lincoln starter is much easier to install and costs much less this is attractive.

BTW: This is the second time I have had to replace this starter. The AC box must be removed, header pipes removed, and engine jacked up to get the long nose starter out. This is a 10 round wrestling match with many breaks and very poor language.
bbktexas

Re: 430 Starter

Post by bbktexas »

This is a follow-up to my previous post. I found a solution that proved much easier and should prove to be more permanent. I hope this helps others with a 430 Bird.

First I would like to thank Derbird for suggesting RobbMC for a modern starter with a short nose. I purchased a starter from them specifically for the Lincoln/Tbird 430 that has a 153 tooth ring gear. (P/N 3026)
Since removing the failed starter involved removing the A/C box, disconnecting the shift and throttle linkage, removing the 'H pipe, and jacking up the motor; I decided to try a different approach. This involved removing the bolts, sliding the starter forward a few inched, and using a sawsall and a well-oiled metal blade to cut off the starter shaft. (See picture) This worked like a charm and did not have to remove any other parts. Plus, cutting the old starter was very satisfying. Image

I trimmed a little flash off the block casting below the starter to insure room for the new starter solenoid with a die grinder. Then I installed the new starter from RobbMC per the instructions. I positioned the solenoid straight down for the maximum clearance to the header pipe. Image
Brad&Bonnie
60 430 Hdtp
87 Turbo Coupe
RedBird64

Re: 430 Starter

Post by RedBird64 »

It's good to know you can get the "newer" starter for the 153 tooth ring gear. Your info is good for those with Birds up to and including the 64 MY.
When I made this change I had to replace the flex plate!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.