60 window replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
tommy123

60 window replacement

Post by tommy123 »

Hey all, ive got my front passenger window glass (60 hardtop) sitting on my desk and i cannot get the piece of metal off the top. I think its called the glass channel. Its got some kind of epoxy adhesive holding it in. The only thing ive found online was one guy using a rubber mallet and a block of wood to tap at it untill he got his out. Ive been trying with my buddy for hours, even wedging a flathead between the glass and the channel and gently prying (glass was already cracked, not even original anyway). Anyone ever done this? Couldnt find anything on the forum. Thanks.
TL;DR: how to get glass channel off of window.
sseebart

Re: 60 window replacement

Post by sseebart »

I recently had to remove the glass from the vent window in my truck. It was installed properly with the factory tape for a friction fit, but it was still difficult to remove. If someone glued in a replacement piece, you may have no other option than trying to try chipping it out.

~Steve
tommy123

Post by tommy123 »

Bump+ update, tried a couple chemicals like isopropyl to see if it would break down the adhesive. No effect. Using a heat gun to try to melt it only added more cracks to the glass, did not seem to effect the adhesive at all.

Am I missing some obvious solution? This seems like something that should be simple or easy.
tommy123

Post by tommy123 »

Steve, although the window im working on isnt factory the other side is original and also has the top glued into the rail with just as much goop...im still pretty new at this but it doesn't make sense to me that if i brought it to a shop theyd break the window to get it off would they?

Maybe that just is the easiest way but im worried about cleanup and getting the frame bent out of shape
tommy123

Post by tommy123 »

Whoah upon closer inspection my drivers side is not glued in like the other, its got some fuzzy weatherstrip type thing holding it in...so now i wonder if i should glue in the replacement or seek out that weatherstrip to attatch to it like the factory side..
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I'm not really an expert on this, but take a look at this thread at the Ford Truck Enthusiast site:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13618 ... 100-a.html

The fuzzy strip you're seeing is probably glass tape. Not sure what it's made of, but when I looked into replacement tape, I discovered it comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses. Since there was no telling which was right for my application, I re-used the old tape on my vent window. I gather from the rest of that thread that more modern cars use some kind of sealant for the job.

Not knowing what kind of glue you've got holding the glass in there, I'd wager your best bet in saving the frame is having a glass shop look at it.

~Steve
partsetal

Post by partsetal »

The frame at the top and back are one and they are held to the bottom frame by two screws. Remove these two screws and using a block of wood on each side of the glass, mount this in a vice and tighten the vise. Now, using another block of wood and a hammer, remove the bottom frame by hammering on the block of wood at various places on either side of the frame until it is free of the glass. Since the top frame will break at the corner joint if stressed, use the block of wood and hammer again to gently tap the frame away from the glass. It is important to alternate between the top and side frame so as not to destroy the corner joint. What is normally used to retain the frame to the glass is called glass setting tape and is readily available in different thicknesses. Too thick and you won't be able to assemble the frame, too thin and it wont hold the glass to the frame. I keep several sizes handy to test for the correct thickness.
Carl
tommy123

Post by tommy123 »

Got it out with minimal if any bending of the frame.

The heat gun ended up being the key. We would head one edge as we used a putty knife on the other to work the adhesive out...after a few minutes of this we would then continue to heat it now while using a hammer and wood block to tap it...took a while but we got more than half of the adhesive to come out with the glass and the rest was a quick needle nose and done.

:mrgreen: thanks for the help guys...ill post back with updates once i decide how ill be sealing it back in
My60bird

Post by My60bird »

I just bought a 60 bird and am also replacing the cracked drivers side window as well as the passenger vent window. I am having the same issue removing the chrome trim from the windows. I have not really work hard on trying to remove it. Looks like a tough job. When the new glass comes in I am thinking about taking the old and new glass to a local auto glass shop to see if they can do the job for me. If they are willing and if I don't have to get a second mortgage to pay for it I'm going to let them do it.
Ratboy

Post by Ratboy »

Like posted before. There's 2 screws that you have to remove in the window frame that holds it together. Then the frame should be gently tapped away from the glass with a wood block, being careful not to bend the frame at the joint. The glass is tapped into the stainless frame with the wooden setup with a rubber gasket that you can get from most Bird suppliers. I used some soapy water as a lubricant. It's terribly difficult. My challenge was reinstalling the window into the regulator.
My60bird

Post by My60bird »

Lucky, Lucky me! I took both the passenger and vent glass to a local glass shop as mentioned above. Since I had new glass and not saving the old they just cut sections of the glass out and worked it out piece by piece. Took two of them about 30 minutes to get it done. It was a slow day and they were bored. Did not charge me a dime. So I lucked out on that one.