Excited about owning my first Thunderbird... 1959

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
jackdkay@mac.com

Re: Excited about owning my first Thunderbird... 1959

Post by jackdkay@mac.com »

Well... I may be a complete beginner but thankfully Alan gave me great advice in ordering up the 58-60 OFS...
and boom... I got the book I ordered in the mailbox today! :)
The engine checks out as original based upon the date codes and the engineering numbers from what I can decode using the OFS book
I took a couple pics from this holy grail of a book and am posting them here.

My car is 3rd of December 1958 build date 03M ---production calendar ran from 10/3/1958 through 8/22/1959 so there were no December 1959 cars, there were only December 1958 produced 1959 model year cars...

Engine block CASTING date decodes to 10/25/58 (second shift) 80Z:2 Engineering number B9AE6015B DIF

Short block STAMPED assembly date decoded to 11/27/1958 3-8AA0 (second A in inverted)

Intake manifold date decoded to 11/25/58 8AZ

Transmission case date Decode to 11/20/58 8AU

I have got to say this book is golden! Thank you to all of the folks (past and present) that have worked so many hours over so many years to compile this critical information
Attachments
Image 7-4-21 at 8.33 AM.jpeg
Image 7-4-21 at 8.33 AM.jpeg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 141 times
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

It's been over 14 years since we put the book together: I had overlooked the change in date coding in late 1959 to the month ID. I had a nagging suspicion that I was missing something (primarily because I was going off of memory and didn't have my copy of the OFS handy for reference). Had I had some free time yesterday I would have found the initial error in my deciphering, but at least you got to find it and answered what was bugging me since Friday.

Now that you can dig through your car and really scrutinize it, you may be able to find something we still need to document for future revisions. And hopefully you can display your car at the VTCI International in Portland a month from now for others to see
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
jackdkay@mac.com

Post by jackdkay@mac.com »

Alan.
Thank you for all of your time helping me with the initial observations and encouragement to seek to become a member and to dig into the available information in the OFS I want to say especially thank you for all of your obvious dedication and long standing service to the preservation of historic documentation and also for taking the time to help a hobbyist like myself to begin an adventure of discovery on these great cars.

It is said that we are all to give honor where honor is due and you sir are most certainly an honorable historian that is still willing to volunteer your time for beginners like me.

Thank you again Alan for all of your hard work and dedication to all of us in the Thunderbird community past present and future!

I would like to get to Portland but with my work schedule I won’t likely make down.

Jack