1964 Ford Thunderbird Turn Signals not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wayne63011

1964 Ford Thunderbird Turn Signals not working

Post by wayne63011 »

I have a 1964 Ford thunder bird. The two signal indicators on the fender do not work . Nor does the driver side turn signal work in the front. All rear turn signal indicators work, left and right. I traced the wires from the front indicators and driver side turn signal back to the steering column. I found a loose connector but cannot find out what it connects to. Can anyone help me with the location of the turn signal indicator connector. Please send photos or describe where to connect. the wire is hanging from under the steering column next to the turn signal relay.
Lars Eli

Re: 1964 Ford Thunderbird Turn Signals not working

Post by Lars Eli »

Hi! Similar problem with mine. I have an early prod number 103189, and I have the 10 wire harness. But I intend to purchase a new switch and they only have 7 wires. Have you since you post initial message received any info on how to convert from 10 to 7 ? Best regards Lars Eli
Rgjcc1

Post by Rgjcc1 »

I have the a similar problem, just my two blinkers on the fenders don’t work. I have found the wiring and tried replacing them. No joy on the function though. Any other thoughts on how to get them working? Thanks in advance.

Rob
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

The turn signal connectors are located at the base of the steering column. Each wire plugs in separately. If you have an original switch, the wire colors should match up and it's a simple job to connect like color with like color.

Non-original switches don't have the circuit for the fender mounted signals. To make them work, you'll need to wire the fender lamps into the front indicator circuit.

Here's a photo I took of the connections on my bird a few years back.

~Steve
IMG_20170801_091008934.jpg
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

One of the first things I'd do is check to see if there is power to the fender turn indicators. There is a single wire to each that has a bullet connector inside the wheel well. The wire from each indicator is less than a foot long, so you get an idea where it would be. Unplug the connector and check for 12 volts when the turn signals are on. If there is power, your problem is the ground for the indicator housing. I know it's unlikely that both grounds are bad, but if the PO had them off, he may not have reinstalled properly. There should be a plate between the nuts and the fender underside with a sharp point at each end to cut through the undercoating.
Let us know
Terry
64HT