Cleaning Trunk Liner

How to's when detailing your Thunderbird
bama7

Cleaning Trunk Liner

Post by bama7 »

New here. I just bought a 1966 Thunderbird yesterday. I am happy with my purchase so far as well. I had a 1965, around 1970 when I was stationed at Craig AFB in Selma, Al. I really liked it so here I am again. My trunk liner is somewhat dirty and has a slight odor. I do not see any sign of mold or real dampness. Is there anything, or special cleaner I should use to clean the liner? I pulled it all out and letting it air out for a couple of days. Thanks
TbirdIntender

Re: Cleaning Trunk Liner

Post by TbirdIntender »

Good question--I am wondering about the same issues, although I haven't pulled my liner out.
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000
bama7

Post by bama7 »

I put the car in the shop to have the AC fixed and the mechanic found a couple of oil leaks too. I am hoping to get it back this evening, but more than likely it will be Monday or Tuesday. All my liners or laying in the trunk for now. I am thinking of something like Simple Green spray on for the cardboard stuff and some type of mild carpet cleaner for the material pieces.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

bama7 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 pm New here. I just bought a 1966 Thunderbird yesterday. I am happy with my purchase so far as well. I had a 1965, around 1970 when I was stationed at Craig AFB in Selma, Al. I really liked it so here I am again. My trunk liner is somewhat dirty and has a slight odor. I do not see any sign of mold or real dampness. Is there anything, or special cleaner I should use to clean the liner? I pulled it all out and letting it air out for a couple of days. Thanks
Is your liner the original jute-backed Burtex material, or the cheaper fleece-backed vinyl offered in reproduction? If Burtex, a mild carpet cleaner may be a good place to start, but find a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't discolor the material. I'd also think about using a steam cleaner and allowing the mats to dry thoroughly, but I've never tried it yet, primarily because my Roadster still has the cheap vinyl liner and I haven't obtained a Burtex set to install yet.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
bama7

Post by bama7 »

As far as I know mine is original. It is not torn up, just dirty. I do plan to use the mild carpet cleaner. I should be able to test clean some areas that overlap.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

I have a had much success cleaning the original Burtex trunk linings using a solution of warm water and a small amount of mild dishwashing detergent. I apply the solution using a scrub brush that I dip in the solution. I use a toothbrush for tight areas. I like to use an old ice cream pail or similar plastic bucket to hold the warm water/dishwashing detergent solution. The idea is not to saturate the jute material, but rather just clean the printed surface of the mat. Dip the scrub brush into the solution and gently work it over the surface of the mat. I like to work in sections, approximately 1 square foot or so at a time. I never remove the mats from the trunk, I clean them inside the car. I don't want to disturb the factory adhesive holding them in place.
Avoid over soaking the material, you just want to clean the surface where the soiling is. I prefer to gently scrub the mat down at right angles, going back and forth in one direction and then repeat in the opposite direction. Once you've scrubbed a section, take a clean white terry cloth towel and wipe the area clean, getting the Burtex mat as dry as possible before moving on. You will see the soiling absorbed into the white towel and you will notice your cleaning solution getting dirty as well. Change the cleaning solution often as you progress and always wipe the mats off as you go to remove the loosened soil and to keep them from getting saturated. Once finished, it's a good idea to position a large fan so it's blowing directly into the trunk and let the fan run over night just to make sure everything is completely dry. I also like to leave the deck lid open for an extended period. You can repeat the whole process if you feel it's necessary. One can achieve very good results gently cleaning these Burtex mats by hand, without fear of damaging them. Of course if you're dealing with oil spills and rust stains you're likely not going to be able to remove those. Your expectations must be realistic. It all depends on the condition of your Burtex lining before you start.

It's always best to preserve the original mats if you can. I've been cleaning Burtex mats this way for over 40 years, and it works very well.

Scott
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

As regards odor, my mechanic told me to put in a few charcoal bags. They are cheap and did really help get rid of that old car smell that I hadn't been able to whip. Just put a few around in inconspicuous spots.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Purifying-Activa ... B082KC4JT2
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000