Cleaning Trunk Liner

How to's when detailing your Thunderbird
bama7

Cleaning Trunk Liner

Post by bama7 »

New here. I just bought a 1966 Thunderbird yesterday. I am happy with my purchase so far as well. I had a 1965, around 1970 when I was stationed at Craig AFB in Selma, Al. I really liked it so here I am again. My trunk liner is somewhat dirty and has a slight odor. I do not see any sign of mold or real dampness. Is there anything, or special cleaner I should use to clean the liner? I pulled it all out and letting it air out for a couple of days. Thanks
TbirdIntender

Re: Cleaning Trunk Liner

Post by TbirdIntender »

Good question--I am wondering about the same issues, although I haven't pulled my liner out.
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
bama7

Post by bama7 »

I put the car in the shop to have the AC fixed and the mechanic found a couple of oil leaks too. I am hoping to get it back this evening, but more than likely it will be Monday or Tuesday. All my liners or laying in the trunk for now. I am thinking of something like Simple Green spray on for the cardboard stuff and some type of mild carpet cleaner for the material pieces.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

bama7 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 pm New here. I just bought a 1966 Thunderbird yesterday. I am happy with my purchase so far as well. I had a 1965, around 1970 when I was stationed at Craig AFB in Selma, Al. I really liked it so here I am again. My trunk liner is somewhat dirty and has a slight odor. I do not see any sign of mold or real dampness. Is there anything, or special cleaner I should use to clean the liner? I pulled it all out and letting it air out for a couple of days. Thanks
Is your liner the original jute-backed Burtex material, or the cheaper fleece-backed vinyl offered in reproduction? If Burtex, a mild carpet cleaner may be a good place to start, but find a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't discolor the material. I'd also think about using a steam cleaner and allowing the mats to dry thoroughly, but I've never tried it yet, primarily because my Roadster still has the cheap vinyl liner and I haven't obtained a Burtex set to install yet.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
bama7

Post by bama7 »

As far as I know mine is original. It is not torn up, just dirty. I do plan to use the mild carpet cleaner. I should be able to test clean some areas that overlap.