SC Regional VTCI Convention

Let the VTCI know what you would like to see done with these events. If you wish to be heard... here is your chance!
redbow

SC Regional VTCI Convention

Post by redbow » Fri May 15, 2015 10:26 am

This weekend is the South Central Convention, May 14-16th. I have seen NOTHING about it or any other upcoming event here on the forum. Doesn't anyone go to these things?

Burke
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
VTCI #12348 as of 5/4/2015

60fore

Re: SC Regional VTCI Convention

Post by 60fore » Fri May 15, 2015 1:46 pm

If you look in this section you'll see a post from April 5 detailing what's happening at the South Central Convention.

And right below this is a thread about the upcoming International in Kelowna which has 58 posts in it. So yes, people do attend these things. There's more info on the main VTCI website.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue

RAVEN

Post by RAVEN » Fri May 15, 2015 8:13 pm

My plane takes off for BC in just more than 12 hours. Looking forward to the friends and fun ahead. Let the party begin!!!!!!!!
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible

redstangbob

Post by redstangbob » Sat May 16, 2015 11:06 am

You're getting an early start Wally, you're going to look like hell by Wednesday :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop

redbow

Post by redbow » Sat May 16, 2015 4:36 pm

This VTCI South Central Regional Convention was a three day event held at the Arlington Sheraton Hotel on May 14 - 16th. It was put on by the North Texas Vintage Thunderbirds, a Chapter of the Vintage Thunderbird Club International. Having never been to one of these affairs. A friend and I decided to go and see what was shakin. There were about 30 Tbirds there being shown and judged. Six of the ten body styles of Birds were present. Most were emaculate but there were several "drivers" also. Have you ever seen a Tbird with a rumble seat? Besides the one currently on eBay. There was an absolutely gorgeous black 57 with that after-market option. He did have one of those "Awh S**t" moments though. The owner who was from Tucson Arizona, while unloading it from his trailer. Had opened the hood to turn the battery cut off back on. He did not close the hood before backing the Bird out of the trailer and the back edge of the hood cough on the top of the trailer. Bent the right rear corner of the hood down about an inch or so. There are a number of Tbird Clubs in the South Central Region. But hardly any were represented at this event other than the sponsoring group. So these were mostly local cars. There were no vendors of any sort. And no Clubs promoting themselves or their events. Based upon the right ups and Club info I was able to find. This event seems to be more of an excuse to Party than a real convention. I can not believe there were no Tbird vendors, Tech people or Restoration Shops at least handing out catalogs or something on sight. Maybe Saturday was just the wrong day to go? But my hat is off to the North Texas Vintage Thunderbirds for putting on the show. I know it took a lot of hard work.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
VTCI #12348 as of 5/4/2015

60fore

Post by 60fore » Sun May 17, 2015 11:33 am

Only 30 cars attending from an area the size of Texas? That is disappointing. I know the region has been suffering through a very rainy spring; maybe that was a factor?

When my little burg hosted the NW Regional back in '08 I believe we had over 80 cars show up. We even had a number of attendees from the US, pretty impressive considering we're over 400 miles north of the border. And one family came all the way from Sweden! They were Birdless, however.

Good to know lack of attendance/enthusiasm won't be a problem in Kelowna - the hosting club is awesome, led by Ken and Marion Carr. It won't be just an excuse to party, but there MAY be a little of that going on..... :drinking: :mrgreen:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue

redstangbob

Post by redstangbob » Sun May 17, 2015 12:14 pm

I can not believe there were no Tbird vendors, Tech people or Restoration Shops at least handing out catalogs or something on sight
It's not always the case, they are always welcome and many do participate. As for the excuse to party,I find these events to be a place to visit old friends and cultivate new ones. They take me to cities I normally wouldn't visit, and I see cars I'll never see around here. We have developed a bit of a network, with emails and phone calls from time to time, I have friends all over the country I didn't have before joining and attending a VTCI convention. I hope you got to know some of the members there, you'll probably see them again as that area of the country is very active. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up at a convention, then we can party down :drinking: See ya there, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop