Converting from generator to alternator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
fberritto

Converting from generator to alternator

Post by fberritto »

Can anyone help walk me through how to convert the three wire generator on a 1960 Thunderbird to a one wire alternator? Jegs sells a alternator that seems to match up and fit the bracket and belt system for the generator.

Do you simply just out the thick gauge wire from the generator onto the new alternator and run it through the volatage regulator the same way?

bbogue

Re: Converting from generator to alternator

Post by bbogue »

Hello.
I replaced the generator with a Powergen alternator for my 61 several years ago. It looks just like the generator it replaced. I was careful to order the model with a connector for the generator light in the dash, else the light would no longer work. The Powergen alternator has an integral voltage regulator so the external voltage regulator can be bypassed. I had a question or two during installation but the mfr was helpful. The pulley from the old generator had to be swapped onto the new alternator. I do not recall why. A generator shop did this for me. No issues with the alternator in 7 years. Expensive.
Good luck.

Bill
VTCI# 12145
1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic
Thunderbird Music...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-qNF ... zQ5c09UdEE

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers