Restoring 57 dash

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Billb

Restoring 57 dash

Post by Billb »

The speedo glass is cracked, the instruments all are faded, and the aluminum is scratched. Is it possible to remove all of these without pulling the entire dashboard. I'm sure it would be the best way but sounds daunting. The guy I asked at CASCO said it could be a bitch.
This is my first Ford ever. Over the years I've had a few older Vetts. The dashes in them practically fell out with 5 screws. I have no regrets, I love this little car.
Thanks for any help
Bill
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Billb - welcome to the forum!

Hopefully some owners will jump in & share their experiences with dash restoration. For a 57 my first decision would be the general overall appearance of the dash cover. If the 57 dash vinyl is in need of repair/replacement its a no brainer - remove the dash so it can be properly restored and do everything at once. I have removed the individual guages with the dash in the car and as you were advised it is not a fun job. I am facing this same project with my 57.

Some suggestions.
Be patient and take pictures
Use a LED trouble light so you won't get burned! (Don't ask how I know this)
Remove the seat!

Good luck and post some pictures (How To section at the bottom of the forum has the info).
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Billb

Restoring 57 dash

Post by Billb »

I called CASCO and they said remove the dash. I'm sure it will make it alot easier to work on everything.
I used to work with Joe Johnson in the old Bell System
Thanks
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Joe is right. But if you decide not to, remove the seat so you can work a lot easier.
David Tulowitzky

Re: Restoring 57 dash

Post by David Tulowitzky »

Billb wrote:The speedo glass is cracked, the instruments all are faded, and the aluminum is scratched. Is it possible to remove all of these without pulling the entire dashboard. I'm sure it would be the best way but sounds daunting. The guy I asked at CASCO said it could be a bitch.
This is my first Ford ever. Over the years I've had a few older Vetts. The dashes in them practically fell out with 5 screws. I have no regrets, I love this little car.
Thanks for any help
Bill
Bill,
If you want to do some of the small detailing to make your dash instruments look better on your 1957, some things can be done easily without removing the dash. The speedometer, fuel, temperature and tachometer glass covers can be removed from the front of the dash. Each of these chrome bezel's is held on by tabs and can be removed by using a short knife to get under the edge, then a thin bladed screwdriver to twist and pop them off. There are four tabs on the speedometer and three on the other instruments. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum face panel and not to insert the screwdriver too far as you willget under the glass and may break it. I did that on my speedometer and was luck to have a piece of thin plexiglass to cut myself a new lens. With the bezels and glass removed you can clean and touch up whatever is needed. The clock on the 57's has to be removed to clean the glass and repaint the hands. First remove the chrome set knob by turning it countercloclwise. Under the dash, remove the hot wire and the three phillips head screws. The clock will now slide out from the rear. If your clock does not work, try spraying it with WD-40. The small chrome rings on the OIL, GEN and turn signals cannot be removed from the front. They are crimped on from the rear. If you want to replace these lenses, the easiests method is to trim the diameter of the new lens down to the size of the opening. Then put a small amount of elmers glue behind each lens and push them in place with an eraser end of a pencil. You would never know they were put in from the front.

Hope this helps
Dave
Billb

Post by Billb »

Thanks for the responses
I have tried to pry the bezels loose with no luck. They're really tight and I'm sure somethings going to give.
I've talked to and read everything I can find on removing the dash. Sounds like a good winter time project and it really needs a good working over. From what I'm able to see, it looks like most of the wires have been cut, spliced, and generally messed with. The fiber insulation is almost completely disinigrated, windshield wiper works, sometimes, heater motor works but there's no heat. It'll be alot easier to do all this not lying on my old #@* back
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Even though you have decided to remove the dash, remove the seat too to make it a lot easier to work. Might be the time to install electric wipers while everything is easy to get at.
Billb

Dash Removal

Post by Billb »

This is no picnic!!! I'm no mechanic but every single thing on this dash is a bitch to get undone. So far, at the opposite end of every bolt is a loose nut in an impossible place to get a wrench. I'm taking pictures but putting this all back together is another story. Wish me luck
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

One little thing to do once the dash is out is to paint the backside white. Doesn't have to be anything more than a couple of quick coats from a spray can. White paint on the backside of the dash makes it brighter and and easier to see everything when you are upside down and your neck bent 90 degrees!

Your wish is my command - "good luck!"
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
Billb

Dash restoration

Post by Billb »

Well I got it out. The only problem I had was when I finally got everything disconnected the dash wouldn't budge. The outside corners wiggled but the center felt as though I hadn't removed the correct screws. I had the speaker & speaker grill out and pulled firmly through the speaker opening, nothing. I took a flatbladed screwdriver and gently pushed it under the area along the windshield where the screws had been and twisted, POP, that's all iit took to break it loose. It slid straight out. I still had a few things to disconnect and then I lifted it out by myself.
Has anybody replaced turn signal, oil, and generator jewels. What did you use permently reattach them? Glue, tape?
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I just pushed mine in and they have stayed for several years. Not saying that is right or not, but it has worked for me.

63SR Silver Mink
Billb

Jewels

Post by Billb »

WOW!! That's a little scary. Mine had old yellow Scotch tape on them that was still stuck. let's hope they never fall out
Billb

Steering column

Post by Billb »

I can't get my steering column to go back in the last 1 1/2". Anyone have any suggestions?
Billb
Billb42@goeaston.net
Billb

Steering column

Post by Billb »

I pulled the colomn and found The steering column is keyed. So I put it back in and had my buddy turn the shaft slowly and dropped in the rest of the way, for those of you who new to this
Billb

Rear left turn signal

Post by Billb »

Everything is working except the rear,left only, turn signal. It's not the bulb. The steering column seems to have 3 green wires, I suspect somethings reversed. Can't make sense of the wiring diagram at the column. Any suggestions?
Billb42@goeaston.net