New member and car owner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Conbird

New member and car owner

Post by Conbird »

Hello to All

I have just purchased a 1957 tbird. This is my first one and I want to do some work to it. I am, in no way, any form of expert on these cars. But I have built a few cars in my life and do not consider the needs of this car that substantial to repair. I am hoping to dialog with people here about certain questions I may have. I don't plan to concourse restore the car. it is already a nice little driver and that is the way I plan to use it. I will be looking to make it a better driver such as installing power brakes and air conditioning ( I have a wife that would not ride in it unless I keep her cool!!). I will try not to do anything that would affect the future value of the car. No body modifications and so forth. i am hoping that some of you will honor me with sharing your expertise from time to time.

Thank you
ICON 1956

Re: New member and car owner

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome to our forum, Can you get us a picture of your car? Ask away any questions we have a lot of members that can help. I would have to say this, you should get the 1957 shop manual to help you understand how your car performs.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Another manual that would be good to have is the Electrical Assembly Manual
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Welcome! I have 2 extra shop manuals still in plastic. Message me if interested. Also there is an ebay listing for colored wiring diagram that I really enjoy using.

I installed classic air, bolts right in to original controls. Couldn't be happier.

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/com ... ng-system/
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
Conbird

Post by Conbird »

Hello to all. Thank you for your responses. One request was for some pictures of the car. Please find those attached. These keep showing up upside down. But if you click on them they are right side up. The car is far from perfect and needs some attention but that is the fun of working on them. As you can see the engine is not assembled and that is how I bought it. I have all the parts and will rebuild the engine. ( Engine building is my passion ) It will be redone not to concourse but driver. The engine will receive some different parts than stock. Heads will be ported, compression increased, cam lift and timing will be changed, I will use the stock intake 4bbl manifold with some port work done to it. And some other stuff. Just want it to be optimized for pleasure driving.

Also, someone asked me about manuals. Fortunately the previous owner gave me a pile of those. Ford shop manuals, owners manuals, full electrical manuals and schematics. To many to list.

I understand the ford-o-matic in the car is designed not to start out in 1st under normal acceleration of a stop. So I want to investigate options here. I understand that this transmission is basically the same as a FMX. It this accurate and will the FMX bolt to the ford-o-matic bell housing?

Anyway I thank all those that responded. I look forward to further dialog about these special cars.
Attachments
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2030.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg
Boozeman

Post by Boozeman »

Beautiful car - congratulations! Great looking paint job and interior, and it looks like you got some really nice parts. Love the baby moons! It looks to me like the car already has air conditioning...
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Conbird, your 57 looks like a winner. I'm not a fan of the wheels and tires, but it's a matter of personal taste. I'm sure that some people don't like mine either. What are your plans for the engine?

The Fordomatic will start out in low if you manually shift it in low or floor it. The FMX bellhousing will not bolt up to the Y-block. I'm putting a C4 transmission in my 55. Everything that is needed for the conversion can be obtained from Gene at Flat-O Products in Oregon. There is a website, but Gene prefers communicating by phone, not email. You can also install an AOD, but the conversion is more complicated, and it requires notching the frame for clearance. However, you will appreciate having overdrive on the highway, if you retain the stock rear end gear ratio.

My 55 also is Raven Black/w black & white interior.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"understand the ford-o-matic in the car is designed not to start out in 1st under normal acceleration of a stop. So I want to investigate options here"

If you want all three gears from a stop, start in Low and shift to Drive when moving.
If you want to manually select the shift points, start in Low and when you want Second, pop the Selector to Drive and immediately back to Low - the transmission will shift to Second and stay there. When you want Third, shift to Drive.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

JimCunn wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 am "understand the ford-o-matic in the car is designed not to start out in 1st under normal acceleration of a stop. So I want to investigate options here"

If you want all three gears from a stop, start in Low and shift to Drive when moving.
If you want to manually select the shift points, start in Low and when you want Second, pop the Selector to Drive and immediately back to Low - the transmission will shift to Second and stay there. When you want Third, shift to Drive.
After shifting up to second
You must be above about 20 mph or it will shift back into 1st
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"You must be above about 20 mph or it will shift back into 1st"

That's good to know. When doing the pop pop shift from Low to Drive to Low, mine always locked into second and stayed there, no matter the speed.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

JimCunn wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm "You must be above about 20 mph or it will shift back into 1st"

That's good to know. When doing the pop pop shift from Low to Drive to Low, mine always locked into second and stayed there, no matter the speed.
Perhaps a better choice of a word would be could,
I would guess you are staying hard on the throttle and not letting up when you shift back to low.
Vavava voom
You can get tire from 1st to 2nd, never tried 2nd to third but maybe with your method
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

My 292 would not spin the tires in first, but would when shifting from first to second, and would chirp them going from second to third.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Were, not are. It was over fifty years ago :-)
My memory is that once you did the Low-Drive-Low Pop, it locked into second and stayed there no matter the throttle position (it quit shifting automatically). But it was well over fifty years ago - and you know how memory is... Anyway, it was quite different from what other Ford owners expected from a Fordomatic at the time. Got a Lotta comments.