Rebuilding Power Steering Ram on a late '57

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

289ace

Rebuilding Power Steering Ram on a late '57

Post by 289ace »

I am trying to rebuild the PS ram on my '57 but I have reached a point of not sure how to proceed and hope someone can provide guidance. The kit I bought from Concours has a circlip, a star washer, an outer seal/holder, 2 inner seals, and a thick stepped washer. In taking mine apart I have been able to remove the circlip, star washer, outer seal/holder, and a seal. I think this brings me to the stepped washer and there is another seal behind it, but I cannot get the step washer out.

Questions-
1. Is there an additional seal under what looks like the step washer or are there only the 2 seals I have removed so far?
2. If the step washer does come out, are there any tricks to removing it? It looks like it should come out but there are no grab points on it so it hasn't moved a bit so far.

TIA for any responses.
289ace

Re: Rebuilding Power Steering Ram on a late '57

Post by 289ace »

In case it helps, here is the kit I am using.

https://www.larrystbird.com/wp-content/ ... 3764BK.jpg

The step washer on the lower right is what I am think I am trying to remove and I think there is a seal behind it.