My first post

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

JimCunn

My first post

Post by JimCunn »

I bought my 55 in 1965. It was the first car I ever purchased and my daily driver for about ten years. Then I overhauled the engine and transmission, put it in the garage, and haven't touched it since. Lately, I've been thinking about refurbishing it for my granddaughter's 16th birthday (which is still several years away). I dread examining it to see how much it has deteriorated in the 45 years that it has been sitting. Wish me luck.
RAVEN

Re: My first post

Post by RAVEN »

Welcome aboard, glad to hear that your Bird is a survivor. I appreciate any Bird being preserved and wish you well on your efforts. There are many who watch this site and help in any way they can.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Welcome to the VTCI forum. Sounds like a great adventure and will bring back many memories!! Explore our forum, we have a search function that works reasonably well, but you may have to re-word your searches a time or two to find intended results. I will suggest buying all the manuals (reproductions and reasonably priced) and not be in a hurry to get it running, but add penetrating oil to the cylinders, and clean the complete fuel system over the days the oil is sitting. Be methodical, safe and post pictures and ask questions!! Enjoy your old friend!!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. J F K

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Four of my most vivid memories were
1) How the brakes would fade to almost nothing after about 30 minutes of mountain driving
2) Having to swing my knee way out to the right while bringing my ankle well to the left in order to get my leg in between the steering wheel and the brake
3) How the front end would get really light over 115 mph, and the severe understeer.
4) Getting first, second, and third locked in with that two speed selector

That aside, it was a delight to drive.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome to the forum, We have a ton of members that know their stuff. Enjoy your adventure in bring her back to life.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1997 Heritage Springer with Motorvation matching side Car Red/Birch White
VTCI Member # 12309