Inspector recommendation in the St. Louis area

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ericisback

Inspector recommendation in the St. Louis area

Post by ericisback »

Need an inspector recommendation in the St. Louis area for a 1956. Thanks for any help!
55blacktie

Re: Inspector recommendation in the St. Louis area

Post by 55blacktie »

Did you contact the local chapter of a Thunderbird club?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Classic Thunderbird Club of St. Louis
ericisback

Post by ericisback »

I will try to contact them, thanks!!
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

You will want to test-drive the car. If you have never owned/driven one, you might not like it. It can be disappointing to go from driving a new car to one that is 64 years old. Sometimes we set our expectations too high. You should enjoy driving it, not just being seen in it. If it runs, steers, and stops well for a 64-year-old car, have a knowledgeable person check for originality (if that's important). Focus on body condition, looking for signs of repairs-accident/rust. It might also be wise to drive another 55-57 Thunderbird for comparison purposes, if possible. If the seller is an active Thunderbird club member, he might have a greater appreciation for the car, and its condition will reflect that. Don't hesitate to ask why he is selling. How long has he owned the car? Receipts for parts/service? Is the seller a dealer?

Good luck!

Oh, ask about spare parts and whether they are included in the purchase price. Once the car has been inspected, and all of your questions have been answered, sleep on it. If married, discuss it with your wife. If she's not happy with your purchase, you won't be.
ericisback

Post by ericisback »

55blacktie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 pm You will want to test-drive the car. If you have never owned/driven one, you might not like it. It can be disappointing to go from driving a new car to one that is 64 years old. Sometimes we set our expectations too high. You should enjoy driving it, not just being seen in it. If it runs, steers, and stops well for a 64-year-old car, have a knowledgeable person check for originality (if that's important). Focus on body condition, looking for signs of repairs-accident/rust. It might also be wise to drive another 55-57 Thunderbird for comparison purposes, if possible. If the seller is an active Thunderbird club member, he might have a greater appreciation for the car, and its condition will reflect that. Don't hesitate to ask why he is selling. How long has he owned the car? Receipts for parts/service? Is the seller a dealer?

Good luck!

Oh, ask about spare parts and whether they are included in the purchase price. Once the car has been inspected, and all of your questions have been answered, sleep on it. If married, discuss it with your wife. If she's not happy with your purchase, you won't be.
Do you have someone that you can recommend for a pre-purchase inspection in the St. Louis area?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I would also have someone follow the car, looking for smoke, tracking straight, leaning on one side, lights, anything unusual that you can't see from inside the car.

I'm in California. Sorry, I don't know anyone in St. Louis.
ericisback

Post by ericisback »

55blacktie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:42 pm Classic Thunderbird Club of St. Louis
Do you suppose the club you mention is the same as the “Gateway Thunderbird Club of Greater St. Louis“? The email address from their website (mteml@juno.com) bounced back to me.

I wonder if they have any other contact information?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Try tbird57@socket.net. This is the Kansas City Chapter, but they might know someone in the St. Louis area who can help. I think the St. Louis Chapter of CTCI is no longer active.

Spend some time driving the car in stop-and-go traffic and check for overheating, keeping in mind that the temperature gauge might not be accurate. Look for electric pusher/puller cooling fans. Ask the seller about radiator-standard, 3/4-row core, aluminum. Note number of blades on mechanical fan, no flex/fiberglass mechanical fan, radiator cap rating, brand/type of water pump, standard/1" smaller wp pulley, coolant overflow/recovery bottle. Any of these items could be an indication of past overheating problems.

Most old cars, and some not so old, will have fluid leaks. Look for a catch pan/stains where the car is normally parked. Don't let minor leaks be a deterrent, but try to determine the source.
ericisback

Post by ericisback »

Thank for the advise so far. In an effort to reduce the amount of feedback not regarding the inspector - I guess I should let everyone know I have been collecting classic cars for almost 30 years. I currently own cars as varied as a 1978 VW Super Beetle, to a 1967 Corvette 427 roadster, to a 1969 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet, to more muscle cars like a 1967 GTO. I have owned and sold cars from the 50’s as well, but don’t currently own any. I’m hoping that will change with the Thunderbird.

Hope to add a nice white 56 baby bird to the collection - if everything works out favorably.

Again, thanks so much for the advise so far, and let me know if anyone knows a great inspector for a prepurchase inspection.