Best Motor Oil To Use in 1957 312

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Hillclimber

Best Motor Oil To Use in 1957 312

Post by Hillclimber »

I have a 1957 Tbird with a 312 4bbl Holley and want to maintain her in the best way possible. I have owned the car for approx. a year and a half and immediately had questions as to what oil is best when oil change time rolled around. Being an old Air Force F-4 crewchief, I have long been a proponent and user of synthetic oils, mostly Mobil 1 ever since it first debuted. I called Exxon/Mobil in Houston and talked firsthand to a petroleum engineer and he gave his recommendation when I asked for it. He suggested using 0-40W Mobil 1 European Formula. He said that it was extra high in phosphorous which my Y-block as well as European cars need. The 0 viscosity would ensure that the oil would percolate throughout the whole engine the very quickest, and as the oil warmed, the increasing viscosity (40) would ensure good coating and sticking. I found it difficult to argue with his logic but would appreciate the advice of experienced mechanics with a better knowledge of these Y-blocks than I.
ICON 1956

Re: Best Motor Oil To Use in 1957 312

Post by ICON 1956 »

Funny you should ask this question, I just changed my motor oil with Shell's 15w-40 Rotella Diesel motor oil. This has plenty of zinc which these cars need. CTCI's Guru Gil Baumgartner recommends this engine oil. I've used this for 4 years. I change my oil every 2000 miles. I've had this habit since I've owned my car. I have greased all of the zerk fittings also the universal joints on the drive shaft. My neighbor has a lift in his garage so it is easy for me to use it and do the preventive maintenance . If you have a oil bath air filter you should clean the mesh screen with gas let dry and add new fresh oil in the oil bath reservoir just a little oil at the bottom line.
Attachments
air oil clearer.jpg
lift.JPG
lift.JPG (14.32 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Rotella Heavy Duty 15w 40.jpeg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Snow-T-Bird

Post by Snow-T-Bird »

Gil Baumgartner is the Classic Thunderbird Club International authority on all technical matters regarding Classic Thunderbirds. He recommend a motor oil which include a generous supply of anti-wear additives, a combination of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP).

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/engine-oil/
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Shell Rotella does offer a synthetic version of the 15W 40 oil
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA