Play in Steering wheel whilst driving

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Kneetoe

Play in Steering wheel whilst driving

Post by Kneetoe »

Hi all,

Now I've managed to get my 56 running, (and it runs great now - no misfires, starts easily, oil pressure 65 at 2000 rpm hot), I'm noticing that the steering wheel seems sloppy. Power steering works great, its just that I can move the steering wheel a couple of inches left or right at 50mph without changing direction

Any ideas please??

Thanks!
1956 Fiesta Red 312
2001 Jag XK8
T-Bird Bob

Re: Play in Steering wheel whilst driving

Post by T-Bird Bob »

There is an adjustment screw on top of the steering box. You can tighten it, but if you over tighten it, you will wear out your steering box.
Here is how it is done:
The top of the steering box has a large hex had cap that hides the screw. The screw is secured by a slotted star-shaped washer.
-Unscrew the hexhead cover (with an normal wrench, nothing special here).
-remove star-shaped washer
-use a large fleathead screwdriver to tighten screw until no more play is felt in steering wheel.
-put star shaped washer back, put cover on and tighten it.

Warning(!) A) I don't know if you have to let the engine run when doing this because of your power steering, I would do it to properly see play in the wheels.
B) Some people say you should not mess with steering box pre-load at all, because you might damage it. This is tru , because an over tight steering gear might wear out prematurely (and this could be a safety concern). Check the correct procedure in your service manual.

Good luck!

Bob
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

How long have you owned the car? Has the steering-gear box ever been rebuilt? Have you checked the gear oil level in the box?

I had the same amount of play in my manual-steering box. When I went through my suspension and steering, I discovered that the steering box was completely dry. All of the gear oil had leaked out over the years. It's doubtful that my dad ever checked it. Rather than attempting to adjust it, I sent it to Redhead Steering Gear, in Washington, to be rebuilt. I think there was about a 2-week turnaround. The play is gone, and it doesn't leak. I might add, however, that Redhead filled the steering box with 00 grease, not gear oil. Being concerned, I called Redhead. They assured me that 00 gear oil would not adversely affect the operation, but it would minimize the likelihood of it's leaking in the future. Shortly thereafter, I read an article about early Corvettes' being recalled for leaking steering-gear boxes. GM's solution was to replace the gear oil with 00 grease.

I don't recall exactly how much Redhead charged to rebuild my steering box, but it was less than their original quote. I would not hesitate to use them again.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Other worn steering components could also cause/contribute to steering play.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I recommend you check all steering components before adjusting the steering box. Could be something else contributing to the play in the steering. Have a front end shop check it out if you are hesitant about doing it yourself.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
thessler

Post by thessler »

Bear in mind you can take all of the play out of the box, have all new components in the front end and the car will not steer as good as a new modern car. Just keep that in mind when you compare how it is steering.
Just a thought, Tom
adg57

Post by adg57 »

Make sure the steering box has fluid in it. I was advised to use STP High Mileage oil treatment. Sticky, nasty stuff - but eventually the box stayed filled.
1956 312
Kneetoe

Post by Kneetoe »

Thanks everyone for your great feedback!!
I have a garage lift and so is easy to check.
I can say all front wheel steering component including rubber bushings are new. The car was rebuilt before I bought it.

I have never checked the fluid and 00 grease sounds like a winner.
I’ll also check the adjustment as you suggest Bob
Thanks again
I’ll let you k ow how it works out
Attachments
DA8E0E2F-2BF6-4D3B-B697-6B002D09BF09.jpeg
A7E1B616-E2BD-46A2-BD2B-EDD768DFFFD4.jpeg
1956 Fiesta Red 312
2001 Jag XK8
ron56

Post by ron56 »

Hi, I had a similar problem with my 56 and I think it would be rare but it might be worth checking out. On t-birds the distance between the center of the sector shaft ball stud and the center of the left hand spindle connecting rod ball stud should be 9 1/2 inches. On the big Fords this dimension is 9 inches, someone miss adjusted my car so even after rebuilding the front end I ended up with too much play. That is because if one used the big Ford spec then the steering box high point position for straight ahead will be incorrect and have free-play that can't be adjusted out. After I discovered my problem and corrected that dimension the difference driving was night and day.
Kneetoe

Post by Kneetoe »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I checked the adjustment of the steering box, looked like there was no play there. Also had oil in the box which I topped up with Castrol EP90
IMG_0404.jpg
The problem appears to be with the power steering. I've tightened up the centering nut on the control valve, then backed it off about 1/8 th of a turn per the shop manual, that seems to reduce the play at a standstill - I haven't taken it for a spin yet to check road manners. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks
John
1956 Fiesta Red 312
2001 Jag XK8
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Ron56, thanks for the tip. I rebuilt my suspension and steering. I took measurements, but I'll recheck, using your numbers. I've yet to put the car back on the road. There's still much to do, and I'm not getting any younger.