Drifting issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

claudine

Drifting issue

Post by claudine »

Took my 55 out for its second time after a month in the shop for repairs of many years of neglect. It now starts and idles and runs well. My question is why would it pull to one side under hard acceleration and pull back under deceleration. I dont think its ball joints ,as i grab the top of the front tire and pull in out vigorously, and i am not detecting any play. It has a rack and pinion power steering installed also. I have a 63 corvair that had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose nut on the idler arm bushing, tightened it and problem resolved. Your thoughts on the tbird gents??
claudine

Re: Drifting issue

Post by claudine »

Also, under nomal driving it holds a nice track down the road.
Daddio

Post by Daddio »

It may be the alignment. Hard acceleration shifts the weight to the rear axle which is on a slightly different trajectory than the front, then on deceleration, the weight shifts back.
Have someone follow you and see if your car crab-walks.
Mike
1956 TBird
SOLD - 1959 Cadillac Biarritz
Massey Ferguson 165
2005 Lincoln LS
2014 GMC Yukon
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

It is caused by torque (Y blocks were good stump pullers because of that.) but the symptoms you describe shouldn't be excessive. Check engine mounts, especially the steady rests on both sides of the engine. I I remember correctly, my bird does the same to an extent
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Check the rear end u bolts for tightness
if loose will let the rear end slide up the leaf when under torque.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA