Spare tire well

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

JimCunn

Re: Spare tire well

Post by JimCunn »

No, it's a Piper Cherokee 150C.
Front Quarter 2b.jpg
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Very Nice!!

Your fiberglass skills are way beyond mine.

Regards
fairlane

Post by fairlane »

T-Bird Bob wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 am Hello Claudine,
No the '55 doesn't have a spare tire well. The spare lies flat on the trunk floor on the rear right corner of trunk.
This is why customers complained back in 1955 about small trunk space and Ford moved the spare outside into the continental kit.
You can buy a pre-made well for a 1957, but deck lid clearance will not allow you to fit an actual wheel (Otherwise Ford would have probably done it in 1956 as they finally did in 1957, but see how the changed the shape of the deck lid).

Now you ask why the fuel tank is not full width? I have no Idea, I bet it is a Fairlane tank.

Have fun!

Bob
Hey Bob - where can I find a pre-made spare tire well for a 1957 Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

The 57s aren't available right now.
This one can be modified to work.
194_FORD_SPARE TIRE WELL-600x600.JPEG.jpg
T-Bird Bob

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Fairlane,
Sorry, I was operating with outdated information. I thought they were available some years ago when I was toying with the same idea.
Jim is probably tight.
The part he mentions is shown on several hotrod pages online and I bet it is some sort of generic part. Taking into account the deck-lid clearance issue, You have to adapt all the stuff anyways.
I just gave up the idea of a vertical spare tire because I realized I never need trunk space in a weekend-cruiser.

Have fun!

Bob
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"and I bet it is some sort of generic part".

It is not identical to the 57 well and would require some cutting and rewelding.