Rear Roof Hold Down Plate

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Haz567

Rear Roof Hold Down Plate

Post by Haz567 »

For late 56 and 57's what direction is the slot for the hold down plate supposed to point, to the inside or outside of the car?
REAR CLAMP DIRECTION.jpg
The photo shows it going to the outside on a 56.
ICON 1956

Re: Rear Roof Hold Down Plate

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a picture of mine it's pointed the same as yours. This position locks the rear of the hard top down.
Attachments
pic19.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks for the reply Icon. What I was trying to ask is shown below for the plate.
ROOF HOLD DOWN PLATE.jpg
You can click on the picture for a closer view.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

Definitely to the outside. If your clamps are spring loaded, as they should be, then it is the only way that makes sense. The pins on the bullets point to the inside of the car when locked.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks Lew:

I was making too big of a deal of this using the logic that the set screw should always be accessible when the lever was in the relaxed (closed or latched) position. Then remembered that there is not a LH & RH bullet offered so at least one side will have to be adjusted when the latch is in the open position.
CLAMP BULLIT.jpg
Just need to be careful when you put the assemblies together that you get the set screw "flat" the right direction based upon which direction you need the stud to point.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Its been a "few years" but I'm thinking a slot may be cut in the stud to receive the set screw? I could very well be wrong about that, so check it out when you make your adjustments and let us know.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Joe:

What I called a "flat" is really a slot with a "flat" at the bottom of the slot.

Regards