Fuel pump problems

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

jmcnabb

Fuel pump problems

Post by jmcnabb »

The fuel pump on my 57 E bird was getting weak. After leaving the car sit for a day or two the fuel would drain back to the tank and I always had to prime the carbs to start the car. I know I could install a check valve but I have bent over backwards to keep this car as it came from the factory. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but the engine will not run. By putting pressure in the tank with my air hose I can fill the float bowls, fuel filter and fuel pump---then put a teaspoonful of fuel in each carb. The engine will run fine for 2 or 3 minutes and then quit because of no fuel. I opened up the new fuel pump and it looked to me like one of the valves had been put in backwards. There are 6 valves in one of these fuel pumps and now I am suspicious of any of them being installed correctly. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic that shows how these valves should be installed?

An interesting side note ---- when I removed the old pump I noticed the fuel line from the tank entered the pump at a port marked "out".????

Also, does anyone know where I can get the cartridge fuel filter for the original style "garbage can style" fuel filter.

Any help I can get would really be appreciated.

Jim McNabb
T-Bird Bob

Re: Fuel pump problems

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Jim,
I don't really have a schematic, but an idea:
If your old pump is just weak but has never been wrongly assembled, you should be able to dismantle it and check for correct assembly.
(Unless you already took it apart or threw it away).
Good luck!

Bob
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Can't help on the pump question, but call around to the Tbird parts vendors for the cartridge
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

You did not mention how long you have owned your car, or if you are prudent about maintenance, so here are a few of my suggestions.

You can check out this video and learn how the valves are positioned inside the fuel pump. The Buick model featured in the film is very similar to the Ford model we use. I think before I tore into the fuel pump that I would have tested it for the correct pressure beforehand. That would have solved the mystery as to whether the valves were incorrectly set. That and I don’t suspect the pump would have been functional at any other time if incorrectly assembled. There is a methodology for putting these pumps back together dealing with the inside diaphragms, so be mindful of that; otherwise it will not pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOjTKu3dys

Now, that said, are you certain there are no other factors influencing your problem? Have you checked the garbage can filter to see if things are correct at that location? When was the last time you cleaned the interior of the can and replaced the filter? I found the filter, part #9365 at Hills, but they are available elsewhere, and at any price one is willing to pay.

Also, there are two micro-wire filters where the fuel lines feed each carburetor. It does not take much debris to block these fine, mesh filters, especially so, if the filter in the garbage can has imploded.

I just uploaded another post about mechanical fuel pumps, electric fuel pumps, and fuel evaporation, check it out.

I hope this post helps you or someone else down the road.