Oil Bath Conversion Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Cavalier

Oil Bath Conversion Question

Post by Cavalier »

I am considering converting from an oil bath to a dry air cleaner on the 1956 Thunderbird. One PDF article claims the only item needed for the oil bath to dry conversion is a new cover (9600B in case of the 1956) and a different air filter. Is it really this simple? Has anyone else done this specific type of conversion? What are your thoughts? Thank you.
ICON 1956

Re: Oil Bath Conversion Question

Post by ICON 1956 »

I'm asking why ? convert what would be the advantage and disadvantage. I would do more investigating on this issue to convert a oil bath air cleaner to just a air filter. My car is oil bath filter I never had a issue..
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

The wife wants this as a driver car, so please keep that in mind. If the decision is to convert, all original parts will be retained so it can go back to an oil bath should she find another car she likes better. But reasons for converting to a dry filter include:

1. Ease of maintenance.
2. Less mess, also known as much cleaner.
3. New higher quality air filters (such as K&N and Wix) posses superior quality compared to air filters those available in 1956.

I am open to keeping the oil bath if the oil bath doesn't become overly problematic. We live in an area where driving up and down steep long hills is a fact of life though and having the oil leaking all over when driving in hilly terrain won't prove pleasant.

Thank you.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I still have the oil bath filter in my 56. Ive climbed the east coast mountains and the west coast mountains (two transcontinental trips in my 56) and never had any kind of oil loss in my air filter.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

Where can one find information on how to correctly use an oil bath filter? We purchased the car 18 months ago but it was damages upon delivery and has been in the body shop ever since. The man restoring the Thunderbird is nearing completion of the bodywork. It's primarily original but someone traded out the original red/white interior for a black/white interior.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Cavalier wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 pm The wife wants this as a driver car, so please keep that in mind. If the decision is to convert, all original parts will be retained so it can go back to an oil bath should she find another car she likes better. But reasons for converting to a dry filter include:

1. Ease of maintenance.
2. Less mess, also known as much cleaner.
3. New higher quality air filters (such as K&N and Wix) posses superior quality compared to air filters those available in 1956.

I am open to keeping the oil bath if the oil bath doesn't become overly problematic. We live in an area where driving up and down steep long hills is a fact of life though and having the oil leaking all over when driving in hilly terrain won't prove pleasant.

Thank you.
May I ask how much oil did you put into the oil bath?.....The 1956 manual states that a small amount at the base. Look at the picture and you will see a ledge at the bottom of the base do not over fill past it or you will have oil leaking all over.
My next question did you ever check the oil bath for any holes or rust before placing oil in it. There is a metal mesh filter you will need to flush out with kerosene or gas let it air dry. then place a small amount of motor oil at the base . I do this every 3000 miles I always change my engine oil , oil filter, and yes the oil bath. I use a high zinc oil from Shell for these engines . These cars always need close attention to grease the zercs on at least 15 areas on /under the car.
Attachments
Rotella Heavy Duty 15w 40.jpeg
air oil clearer.jpg
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
T-Bird Bob

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Cavalier,
First of all, here is the information you are looking for:
http://nebraskalandtbirds.org/sitebuild ... ersion.pdf

Independent of that, I never had oil leaking out when only driving. But when you need to remove the air cleaner housing and try to get to the carb, you might spill some and your carb and intake is always sticky.

The discussions about what type filters better are endless on the internet and have no clear conclusion (just like the ZDDP in oil discussion or silicone on gaskets etc). I think the papaer filters were invented for a reason back in the 50s and it will be a step forward to convert.

Have fun!

Bob
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Great article on the conversion you found . Thank You T Bird Bob for clearing this up.
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTCI Member # 12309
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

Bob,

I saved the PDF long ago but forgot where it was located, so thank you. But indeed, that is the information being addressed.
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

I converted my ‘55 years ago by purchasing the common repro/paper upgrade (stainless cover) kit. I also used a permanent K&N filter (passes more air than paper/50K mi. between cleanings), raised the cover a tiny bit (taller filter), & radiused the inner lip to smooth airflow. Looks OEM, no mess, less maintenance, and more/cleaner intake air to satisfy my modified teapot.
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

When I restored my '56 Thunderbird, I purchased the reproduction "Dry" Air Cleaner. It looks like the original and is low maintenance.
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

I purchased the parts needed for the dry conversion. SInce it doesn't impact the original oil bath in any way, it can go back in less than a few minutes if desired.