I am a new member of your forum.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

MERLIN1957

I am a new member of your forum.

Post by MERLIN1957 »

Good morning and hello!

My wife's Dad bought it new in 1957, drove it while working in Italy for a few years and loved this car.

He used "Prestige" in Santa Ana, CA to do a lot of the work and spent a lot of money on repairs and restoration.

The problem was that after completing the repairs he was scared to drive it.

So it sat under a cover (no garage) for years and the rodents did a number.

He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so we brought him to spend his last 6 months with us.

After re-doing the usual fuel/fluids, extensive cleaning etc. the T-Bird is in really good condition, but a few things need to be fixed, such as:

1.) Brake lights - not working now - they used to (I assume I need a new switch)

2.) Dimmer Switch (all gauges work, but no lights on the display work now - they used to)

3.) Clock (based upon the receipts the clock was repaired by "Prestige" but it is now not connected)

4.) Cigar Lighter - no wires attached

5.) Lower Right (Right Air-Heat-Defrost) - does not move - stuck in the center position

6.) Left Front Air Knob - pulls all the way out - not attached

7.) Antenna - broken

8.) Wiper Bag & Hoses - nothing is present but the wipers work

I have a feeling that the blue-ish (with a metal ring) wire is from the clock - that does not work when attached.

I have a feeling that the grey with fuse is from the lighter.

The wiring looks mostly original but some is a quick fix (the colors I mentioned are the original colors)

I am handy (I am 57 years old and live in Thousand Oaks, CA) and also work a lot on my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible as long (as it is not too engine related).

I have seen a number of threads that will address some of the items

Thank you for the cooperation.
1957 THUNDERBIRD
1975 CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE
2017 JEEP COMMANDER OVERLANDER
2018 AUDI A3

"Keep the Blue flag flying high" - Come On You Blues!
paul2748

Re: I am a new member of your forum.

Post by paul2748 »

If you have any specific questions on something, give is a holler. God luck in getting it back into shape
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome to our forum, Sorry to hear about your Father. I had the same experience with my Father. Your doing the right thing in making a "punch list" on what works and what doesn't. We have members that know their stuff when it comes to these "Baby Birds". May I suggest look into buying a few manuals for the year of your car. Reading about how your car works will help you. The members on this forum can help you when you tap into their expertise.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
MERLIN1957

Post by MERLIN1957 »

Thank you both for responding.

As I mentioned the car was at "Prestige" (from September 1995 to February 2000) and he put a lot of money into the car, which are confirmed by all of the invoices we have.

After spending many, many hours cleaning and fixing it looks very nice now (some pics attached).

I will try to fix these items one (1) at a time.

I have the shop manual and electrical assembly manual, but neither shows the wiring in color - can some send me a pdf copy of the wiring diagram in color?

According to the "Prestige" invoice they were paid to repair and install the clock and only 3,300 "new" miles are on the odometer in the past 20 years (we try to drive it every week or two) so you would think the clock should be working.

I have also attached two (2) photographs that show the clock under the dash and the loose blue-ish (with a fuse line and metal ring).

I assume the wire is from the clock but it does not work when touched against the securing nut (I also pulled out the fuse and it looks good).

Any ideas on the clock?

Thank you for the introduction.
Attachments
CLOCK WIRING 2.jpg
CLOCK WIRING 1.jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (3).jpg
1 (2).JPG
1 (1).JPG
1957 THUNDERBIRD
2018 AUDI A3

ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

WOW ! that is a nice 57, What you described is nothing what your beauty looks like. I'm glad to see that you are a head of the rebirth of your dads baby. I 'm sure some one will acknowledge your request for a color wire schematic chart. I have a 56, the wiring would be different.....again welcome, please post and add your comments to the forum.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The electric assembly manual does have the wire color codes in each page. There is a company that produces a plastic coated schematic in color. Look on ebay - I don't have a name - might find one there
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's the one for the 1957 Thunderbird
https://www.classiccarwiring.com/thunderbird/
VTCI Member # 12309
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

awesome bird by the way,
with regards to the clock;
it works off of contacts inside the clock that tend to corroded with time.
you can disassemble and clean the contacts and it may work for a while
but for best results I had mine converted to a quarts movement and it works like a swiss watch.
there is a company in Indiana that does the conversion.
I found them on eBay
I you want I can find the company name and address for you.
welcome to the club
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
MERLIN1957

Post by MERLIN1957 »

Thank you for the replies.

I saw the color diagram on line last week and it is cheap but thought that someone may be able to send me a pdf that I could use.

I reviewed the invoice and did "Prestige" did pay for the "new" jewels in the clock.

I checked the fuse again and it looks good, but when using a new fuse it works fine, so the clock now is good.

I will buy a bunch of various fuses so I have some spares.

FYI, I sent my Caddy clock to the "Clock Works" in 2015, they fixed it quickly in less than two (2) weeks.

They charged me $135.00 which saved me about $250.00 (for a used one what would need to be overhauled) and it still works great.

---------------

Regarding the cigar lighter (even though "Merlin" has never smoked), "Prestige" must have installed a new one and used some spare wiring (not the correct color).

The lighter works if I connect it to the center post.

It seems that I can attach the wires to a "spade" connector, or to the center post.

Does it matter which option I connect it?

I will also try to find some replacement correct grey color wiring.
1957 THUNDERBIRD
2018 AUDI A3

ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I would be very careful about the lighter connections. A member a while ago had a fire in his bird caused by the connections from the lighter....Make sure that you have the correct wires.
VTCI Member # 12309
MERLIN1957

Post by MERLIN1957 »

I actually did read the old posting earlier this morning and that is of concern.

Seeing as no-one will be smoking in the car, the cigar lighter is not a must have item, but I would like to use the cell phone adapter.

Plus, since the car currently has a "poor quality" cassette/AM/FM unit (my wife's mother/Dad's ex-wife - ha-ha - says it may be somewhere in her garage).

Fingers crossed she will look for an find the original Town & Country unit and I can get it overhauled!!
Flying-Winking-Pig-Outdoor-Vinyl-Car-Stickers-Decal.jpg
Flying-Winking-Pig-Outdoor-Vinyl-Car-Stickers-Decal.jpg
In my Caddy I use the cell phone adapter and Bluetooth with a portable Bose speaker.

Since there is already a fuse link in the lighter wiring would that stop the chance of a fire?
1957 THUNDERBIRD
2018 AUDI A3

T-Bird Bob

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Merlin,
The connection of the cigar lighter is polarity sensitive:
-The center post is plus
-the spade is ground
(please check I am not 100% sure - measure resistance between the spade and the housing).

While this polarity is not important to light a cigar, it is to your cell phone adapter - that will not work in reverse!
Also, if you get it wrong, you might run 12V power to your dashboard (grounded) and start a fire.

Good luck,

Bob

PS:
I had my own experience with Prestige in California and I think they have good days and bad days when working on cars...
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Merlin, We use our 12v 1955 for our driver. I added this cell phone adapter for longer outings. As you can see in the pictures it’s accessible but out of sight. I ran a jumper lead from the lighter. Easy solution for cell charging.
Enjoy your beautiful 57. Mark
Attachments
C8A94C80-9305-40EE-A879-B4717014ED1D.jpeg
D1451160-C7AB-49EE-A5BA-7532B7A4BCDD.jpeg
apines

Post by apines »

I second the whole “be careful with the cigar lighter” thing. Since the lighter needs to draw so much current it’s wired without a fuse (this is according to Page 83 of the Electrical Equipment Installation Manual, which I strongly suggest you acquire). Since you’re intending to use it with a phone charger and not a lighter you should consider adding an inline fuse. A 2A fuse should be adequate for a charger (you might need to go a little higher). I’d install it as close to the source as possible, which, again according to the electrical manual, is the battery terminal of the headlight switch. It’s the blue wire with a white stripe. Not burning the car to the ground is a good thing.
current:
1966 Ford Thunderbird Q-code convertible with Highway Pilot
1975 Triumph Spitfire
past:
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Triumph TR6
1968 Ford Galaxie convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle
1981 Checker Marathon
VTCI membership #12807
MERLIN1957

Post by MERLIN1957 »

Thank you for the reply.

It seems that "Prestige" already installed an inline fuse holder (with a 20amp fuse) for the lighter and it works fine when pressed, which is a lot higher than what you mentioned.
1957 THUNDERBIRD
2018 AUDI A3