Wire wheel covers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

jereklein

Wire wheel covers

Post by jereklein »

7149C0C5-54CE-4AB0-BD59-4081EBFD0066.jpeg
Hi
I hope you are all well.
I recently installed the clipless wire wheel covers over my dog dish hubcaps on my 56. I have radial tires. They look and fit great. Although they feel securely attached, I had wanted to connect them with zip ties. However, there is no way to access part of the rim where the ties could connect because of the hubcap. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to make sure the wire baskets don’t go flying?? Thanks.
ICON 1956

Re: Wire wheel covers

Post by ICON 1956 »

I would worry more about the skirts, I had one come off a year ago, I did find a way to zip tie the skirts. I have the same Wire wheels covers. I NEVER had a problem as long as you make sure that they snap in tight. Make sure there's no gap between the rin and the other edge of the wire ring.
Attachments
Drivers side zip tie.JPG
Fender 1.JPG
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
jereklein

Post by jereklein »

Thanks. I actually do not have skirts on the car. Although a pair of skirts came (unattached) with the car, they were never repainted as part of the restoration. I have read so much about issues with skirts that I never decided to get them painted and put on.
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

I have both the clipless wire wheel covers and fender skirts. Neither has given me any problems, and I drive my car approximately 1500 miles a year.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

jereklein wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:16 pm Thanks. I actually do not have skirts on the car. Although a pair of skirts came (unattached) with the car, they were never repainted as part of the restoration. I have read so much about issues with skirts that I never decided to get them painted and put on.
I feel the skirts make the Iconic look of the Thunderbird
Attachments
1956 sage 2.jpg
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
jereklein

Post by jereklein »

you are right. I really should think about it.
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

I agree with ICON 56: "I feel the skirts make the iconic look." The '56 Thunderbird has very little brightwork for a 50's car. Ford made the right decision to not include the Fairlane-style trim. The stainless trim on the fender skirts contrasts well with the body color and gives the car that classic look of the 1950's.
Attachments
DSCN2098 (2).JPG
akmcmahon

Post by akmcmahon »

Sorry to hijack this thread. I've been debating whether to get the clipless wire wheel covers or splurge and get KH rims. I saw a small pic of what looked like the fasteners for the clipless covers and it kind of scared me off in fear of them flying off as the OP mentioned. Could someone with them post pics of what they look like and how they clip in?

I do plan to use the skirts, so not sure if KH wheels work with them or not. Thanks for any help on these. I'm so sick of messing with the clips.
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

I drove the first year with skirts and now a year without. I appreciate both looks. It's much easier to clean whitewalls (usually the last thing I do when spiffing her up) without the skirts.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a video on how to install the clips, Not a big fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5bdkCZLP0
VTCI Member # 12309
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Kelsey Hays has been out of business for sometime now
You can buy knock offs
I purchased mine from true Spoke in California
They work fine with the skirts
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA