European headlight conversion - 6V wattage

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

T-Bird Bob

European headlight conversion - 6V wattage

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello All - but especially Europeans*:
I did move to Europe and now I need to convert the headlights on my original '55 6V Thunderbird (6V as in 6Volts electrical, I don't have triple carbs).
I know I can get headlight reflectors from Hella, Cibie or Lucas, but what bulbs do I use?
I thought the original wattage is 35/35W but I find a lot of 6V 40/45W bulbs?
What bulb did you use? The round shaped or the cylindrical?
Did you have to change anything on the connectors?

Thanks, I would really appreciate some help with this to avoid buying wrong parts...

Have fun!

Bob

(*addressed to anyone that cannot use or doesn't want to use sealed beam headlights)
T-Bird Bob

Re: European headlight conversion - 6V wattage

Post by T-Bird Bob »

So I will just answer my own question here:
Yes, it is 35W/35W!
I used the H4 Light bulbs that look like 12V but are 6V and available at Motorcycle places (because there are more motorcycles than cars nowadays that have 6V)

I can't believe I am the only one who imported a T-bird from the US into Europe. I know they are rare here and usually overpriced but i thought that all of the T-bird folks in Europe should be on this forum at least (and maybe the Australians, because they need to flip headlights over to RHD).

Have fun everywhere in the world!

Bob
paul2748

Re: European headlight conversion - 6V wattage

Post by paul2748 »

I believe that the Australians no longer have to convert imported cars to RHD. Heard this on other forums.
T-Bird Bob wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:07 am
I can't believe I am the only one who imported a T-bird from the US into Europe. I know they are rare here and usually overpriced but i thought that all of the T-bird folks in Europe should be on this forum at least (and maybe the Australians, because they need to flip headlights over to RHD).

Have fun everywhere in the world!

Bob
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302