56 to a 57 distributor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Jim G

56 to a 57 distributor

Post by Jim G »

Hi Folks- I bought a 1957 intake manifold with Holly - getting carb overhauls now- and a new 57 TBird AirCleaner that is replacing my 56 TBird TeaPot Carb system. I was told that I needed to replace 56 Distributor with a 57 Distributor for all to work properly together. Yep— I bought a 57 Distributor -$$$$. It has the tach drive on the 57 distributor that I bought but I’m hoping that my 56 drive will attach and work on this 57 distributor ?? Anyone help me with that fearful question? In case you are wondering further— I just had to get away from the TeaPot carb problems to keep it a driver.. Thanks in advance to you all.. Jim G
T-Bird Bob

Re: 56 to a 57 distributor

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hey Jim,
I checked 3 parts suppliers for the tach cable and drive gear:
CASCO
Concours Parts
MAC's
All of them list the cable as a 56/57 so yours should fit on the 1957 distributor (for some reasons the 55 is longer?)
MAC's and Concours Parts list the drive gear as 55-57 and CASCO doesn't list a year at all.
So I figured it will most likely fit as well.

I envy you for just going out and buy all the parts to convert the engine over to 1957 spec - I hope you didn't buy the last '57 distributor.

However, I don't think that a well rebuilt teapot will cause much drivability problems! IT is just the load-o-matic which makes spark advance funny when you need it to be most precise.
Anyway, still an interesting project and make sure all parts are in good shape or you will still have drivability problems.
Looks like you bought the E-code distributor off of ebay. Make sure you get the advance curve right for the equivalent 1957 312 engine.

Have fun!

Bob
Jim G

Post by Jim G »

Thanks Bob— ok I feel good now about the tach drives. I’ve not had a lot of luck on eBay Bird parts— So I’m blessed to only be 1 hour South West of Opie, Kansas where TBird King of parts resides- Mr & Mrs Mitch Reed . ( A California Dreamer that did well). What a neat experience to visit with them- AND parts galore. Some shinny and some ready to be shined .👍 Prices equal to 3 or 4 other TBird suppliers- But Mitch has the parts! (Such as an original new 57 Air Cleaner with Chrome dress top in a original box! - I didn’t say inexpensive but just say’n! 😁 competitive priced- and Mitch said “Welcome to TBird ownership and a kiss goodbye to some of your retirement savings!” And has a supply of distributors and carbs and - you just name it! Later— Jim G
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Everything fits - I did the same thing with my 56 Bird.

Do you have info on the vendor you mentioned above? Name, address, telephone
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Good to know a new supplier on were to get parts ! :mrgreen:
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309