Amos Minter Thunderbirds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

DynoDan’55

Re: Amos Minter Thunderbirds

Post by DynoDan’55 »

I bought my low mileage ‘55 from Amos over 20 yrs. ago. They had it slotted for a resto project, but were more than happy to turn it for a hefty/quick profit instead. Like most used car dealers, they had their mechanic give it a cursory safety inspection initially, but I was disappointed when the ancient brake cylinder seals failed soon after I got it home and started driving it. I had incorrectly assumed a dealer of such renown wouldn’t sell before going that extra mile (overdue maintenance) to insure a customer’s future safety. Admittedly, I was naive. They ARE in business to make a profit, and unlikely to spend any money unnecessarily. Lesson learned: NEVER ASSUME.
BTW: While their resto work IS excellent, I find it rather galling that people so knowledgeable re: originality (Amos routinely acts as a show judge), should always intentionally equip their concours-quality T-Birds with non-original wire wheels, and never paint the cork air filter seal, because it discolors the hood underside.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

The last words that you typed "Never paint the cork filter because it would discolor the underside of the hood". Mine has been painted for years and I haven't yet to see any discoloration under my hood. Would you like to emphasize on that.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Many years ago when I was a newbie to the TBird family I emailed Amos Minter, out of the blue. He was kind enough to respond and give me sound advice on my new purchase. He didn't have to do this, but he did. To me this means a lot. That's all I will say.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Ok, fellow members lets just put one's experience with Amos Minter to rest. I'm sure there can be a lot of good experiences and some not so good. Like every thing in life your going to have great results and some bad. I don't know Amos nor had any experience with him . So let's just keep this forum with Thunderbird topics about how to deal with any mechanical issues with our birds. I do not have Facebook because of the BS that is said in social media, I don't want this forum to start with the same. So I said what I wanted to be said . I like the forum and have learn a lot of the do's and don'ts on the Thunderbird.
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:59 pm The last words that you typed "Never paint the cork filter because it would discolor the underside of the hood". Mine has been painted for years and I haven't yet to see any discoloration under my hood. Would you like to emphasize on that.
Many variables: Silver/argent paint chemistry, cork composition (absorption, etc.), AC height/pressure, hood paint chemistry (acrylic, clear coat, etc), motor motion (trans type?), etc. Original cars usually have wear mark in hood paint. I thus cut down MY replacement cork so it barely touches the repainted hood.
Your guess why his cork never painted otherwise?
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

My 56 still as the original paint on it and there is a rub through mark down to shiny bare metal where the cork has rubbed.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

After reading the post from Dynodan '55 I measured the cork now I know why there was no rubbing, The builder Jewels Meets had trimmed the top of the cork just shy not hitting the hood. So that is why there's no mark. That's a smart thing to think of, Nice thought Jewels....... :smile:
Imageimagine upload
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTCI Member # 12309
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I trimmed mine and one on a friend’s before installing it. After painting it no longer bends and cracks.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN