Door Glass/Weatherstripping Adhesive

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

GeeWhat57?

Door Glass/Weatherstripping Adhesive

Post by GeeWhat57? » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 pm

We are finally putting the regulator, glass, etc. back in the doors. Between the stainless steel channel on the glass and the glass is Part No. 21478B Door Glass Upper Retainer Strip. It seems to me the strip should be glued to the glass and to the channel. The Trim and Sealer Manual does not offer any advice that I have found. Any help? The car is a 1957. Thank you.
"I'm too old for this. But then I always was!"
The Colonel in Meet John Doe.
Jeff & June
Friendsville, Tennessee

voltron

Re: Door Glass/Weatherstripping Adhesive

Post by voltron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:43 am

I'm at the same point and am told by the vendor to soak the retainer strip in oil and then install it. I am still baffled by this?????

apines

Re: Door Glass/Weatherstripping Adhesive

Post by apines » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 am

I just did this on my '66. Do NOT use adhesive, if it's not perfect the first time or if you ever need to re-do it it'll be a headache. The setting tape is supposed to wedge in there, filling the gap and holding it together with friction. The tape contacts the chrome and glass over a lot of surface area so assuming it's the right thickness tape and everything fits correctly it will hold it tight.

I found this video to be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff3e7PFco7g

Note that in the video he suggests kerosene, not oil, but same idea.
current:
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1966 Ford Thunderbird Q-code convertible with Highway Pilot
past:
1974 Triumph TR6
1968 Ford Galaxie convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle
1981 Checker Marathon
VTCI membership #12807