57 Bird Repaint

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

cscolastico

57 Bird Repaint

Post by cscolastico »

I have had my 57 for three years now. Some time ago it had an off frame restoration. Soon it will be time to repaint. The car has enamel one stage paint. At this point would it be advisable to do a color/clear coat repaint, or keep it enamel? ( If that' is even possible in California) The color is Dusk Rose. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks
ICON 1956

Re: 57 Bird Repaint

Post by ICON 1956 »

What are the paint restrictions in California ? Is enamel still used in the state, Why did you say soon to be repaint? is the paint flaking off, peeling. in some spots..If this car was a off frame restoration then there must be something wrong who ever prepped the paint. Repainting would need to do it the right way is totally strip the existing paint from the car. prep the body with primer wet sand and so forth.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
cscolastico

Post by cscolastico »

The restoration was done some time in the 1980s. The paint is still decent for a driver - no flaking. But there is some pitting, and a crack or two. I'm basically looking to the future, maybe a 2 - 3 years. But was wondering what others who are restoring their TBirds are doing regarding paint
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

No advantage to use enamel paint today. The newer paints last longer and are more resistant to the elements. Are you planning to do the paint yourself?
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

The newest 2-part enamel paint systems don’t look as original as the 50s acrylics, but still better than the ‘dipped-in-plastic’ look of the standard/modern ‘clear coat’ type. Much tougher/chip resistant, and less needy re: frequent polishing/waxing.
Not like I had a choice (painter could only use what is currently available), but I came around to accept it since the latest paint job always looks like it was just waxed.
cscolastico

Post by cscolastico »

Thanks for the responses. CSPIDY - no, not going to do it my self. Thanks
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

DynoDan’55 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 pm The newest 2-part enamel paint systems don’t look as original as the 50s acrylics, but still better than the ‘dipped-in-plastic’ look of the standard/modern ‘clear coat’ type. Much tougher/chip resistant, and less needy re: frequent polishing/waxing.
Not like I had a choice (painter could only use what is currently available), but I came around to accept it since the latest paint job always looks like it was just waxed.
Forgot to mention, one problem with the new ‘two-part’ systems, is touching up chips that do occur. While I did hold over some of the leftover paint for just that purpose, it still need to be mixed with hardener, and (like two-part epoxy adhesive), once mixed....it doesn’t keep for long.