Starter Bendix Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

tnswt12

Starter Bendix Question

Post by tnswt12 »

I recently replaced the starter bendix on my 57 starter motor because the starter would spin without load too frequently.

After the repair, the starter worked each time I turned the key for about 3 or 4 weeks, but recently the starter began to spin without load once again.

Did I install a bad bendix or do I have other issues? Suggestions?
CSPIDY

Re: Starter Bendix Question

Post by CSPIDY »

have you looked at the teeth on your flywheel?
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Yes, I have inspected the teeth on the flywheel and I don't notice anything abnormal. When I initially installed the starter after the bendix replacement, I only cleaned the shaft and did not apply a lubricate to the shaft.

Yesterday, I removed the starter and bendix a second time, cleaned the starter shaft and inside the bendix, and applied a generous coating of dry lube. At this time I also installed a new starter seal in the opening. After reinstallation of the starter motor, things are working fine, again.

I hope the dry lube will reduce any friction and make things right, or maybe not.
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

As a follow up to this problem, it appears either the new starter seal did the trick or either the dry lube. Since I used both at the same time, I can't be certain which one helped the most.

For months now I have cranked the car successfully without the starter spinning without load.

I hope this information helps someone else down the road.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Thanks for the feedback, good to know what resolved your issue for others, myself included.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA