Renewed candlepower

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

tnswt12

Renewed candlepower

Post by tnswt12 »

I believe I found this tip in a CASCO newsletter from a while back. At least that is who I am giving credit for this tip.

If you suspect your rear lights and parking lights/turn signals are not bright enough, try this trick of applying reflective tape to the interior of the light housing. The interior of my rear lights were a dull golden-like color and did little as far as reflecting light efficiently.

Applying the tape is easy to do and takes little time. In all honesty this trick makes a heck of a lot of difference in the intensity of the light. That black and red wire you see in the photograph going to the lens is for the back-up light. If you don't have back-up lights you should not have this wire to contend with.

I attach a picture and hope this helps someone else down the road.
Attachments
IMG_1887.jpg
ICON 1956

Re: Renewed candlepower

Post by ICON 1956 »

I don't want to discourage your efforts that is a wonderful idea, Also there are several ways of enhancing the tail lights reflection..I've seen some members use aluminum foil, silver mirror spray paint, and there are new 1157 bulbs that throw out a brighter light. also LED lights but that may need to add a special fuse to accommodate the extra electrical use.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

tnswt12 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm I believe I found this tip in a CASCO newsletter from a while back. At least that is who I am giving credit for this tip.

If you suspect your rear lights and parking lights/turn signals are not bright enough, try this trick of applying reflective tape to the interior of the light housing. The interior of my rear lights were a dull golden-like color and did little as far as reflecting light efficiently.

Applying the tape is easy to do and takes little time. In all honesty this trick makes a heck of a lot of difference in the intensity of the light. That black and red wire you see in the photograph going to the lens is for the back-up light. If you don't have back-up lights you should not have this wire to contend with.

I attach a picture and hope this helps someone else down the road.
I like it, simple and easy way to improve the tail lights which are one of the kool items on our birds.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Icon~ This was some months back during cold weather and I didn't want to use spray paint inside a shut-up garage; the aluminum foil is an idea but it moves around too much. The aluminum tape is easy to apply, stays put, and effective!

Another thing I will add is that the more wrinkled/krinkled/wadded-up the tape, the better the results are according to the newsletter.

Myself, I chose to keep it simple and neat, still there was a wonderful difference.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks for posting your tidbit, every little tip helps here on the forum.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Painting the inside with white paint also enhances the light.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302