1955 Trunk Alignment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

1955 Trunk Alignment

Post by Florida_Phil »

My 1955 Thunderbird trunk is higher on the passenger side than the driver's side. The forward side of the truck and the gap between the car and the front end of the truck are good. The issue is only at the rear passenger side. This causes the end of the truck to be higher than the rear quarter. I made some cardboard templates and checked both side of the fender to see if they are the same. My thinking was the car may have been in a collision? Both sides of the rear quarter are the same. Both sides of the trunk lid itself are the same. I looked further and it seems like the rubber trunk seal is holding the truck up on the passenger side. I am thinking about removing the seal to see if I can align the truck. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joe Johnston

Re: 1955 Trunk Alignment

Post by Joe Johnston »

A lot can happen over the years. Possible causes: the curve of your trunk lid is too straight, the curve front to back in the quarter panel is too high, holding it up, or an area in the rear is holding it up. Worst case is the right quarter was replaced or repaired and is too low, or the other side is too high!

I would first check to see if the small round bumper in the corner is too high. If so, removing and shortening would be the easiest fix. Should that be the case, go buy Mega Lottery tickets!

I would then take a close look at the curve in the sides of the trunk lid from front to back and compare to the flange on the quarter panel. (Perhaps this is what you have already done with the cardboard you mentioned.) If the curves from front to back are not the same from the lid to the quarter you have found the problem.

You can also cut 2" wide strips of paper and place them every 4 inches all around the sides and rear of the trunk opening. Close the lid on the strips, and then pull them out noting which pull harder and those that are easy. Not for the faint of heart, but something will have to be bent or straightened to make the corner of the lid come down. The tight paper strips will tell the area that is holding the lid up. Its common practice to use a 2x4 wrapped in a towel and placed in strategic places and the lid carefully pushed by hand to bend into a conforming contour. If the lid appears correct, then a quarter needs to be adjusted, but only in the inner lip or sealing area.

Best of luck and please let us know what you find and how it was fixed!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink