Continental Kit Bumper

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

CliffC

Continental Kit Bumper

Post by CliffC »

I am restoring a '56 and I need a new Continental kit. I have the corner pieces but nothing for the center. Does anybody where I can find one? I would take a complete bumper set. Thanks
ICON 1956

Re: Continental Kit Bumper

Post by ICON 1956 »

There are several Thunderbird suppliers that carry them, Thunderbird Headquarters has what you need.
www.thirdhq.com Toll free number 800-964-1957. Continental bumper only part # 17751 middle insert license part # 17906.
You will need to call for a quote drawing is on page 68 from their catalog.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Also try6 Hill's Restorations in Ohio
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
eboose7

Post by eboose7 »

I would caution you against buying the reproduction center piece offered by some of the TBird suppliers. It does not fit the same as the oem piece. I know from painful experience. During the restoration of my '56, I needed the center section, because the one on the car was damaged. I ordered what turned out to be a reproduction from one of the Thunderbird parts suppliers. I should have asked if it was an original piece from the factory. It didn't fit properly. The rubber on the leading edge of the Continental pan protruded beyond the bumper on the the reproduction piece. Also, the holes for the license plate are spaced for modern plates and are round instead of the elongated slots on the original. My vintage YOM license plate would not fit. I eventually found the correct part on eBay. I sent it off to Paul's Chrome and it fits perfectly. Last time I looked on eBay, there was a center section for sale. Good luck with your search!
Attachments
DSCN1375.JPG