Tach with electronic distributor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

jereklein

Tach with electronic distributor

Post by jereklein »

Hello again,
How can i get the tach on my 56 to work with the electronic distributor I had installed a while back?
Thanks so much,
Jere
Joe Johnston

Re: Tach with electronic distributor

Post by Joe Johnston »

Does your new distributor have the mechanical drive on the side? Some of the new distributors did have this feature and would mechanically connect with the original cable. If not, you will have to get an electronic tach.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
jereklein

Post by jereklein »

Thanks for your reply.
Its an electronic distributor. So an electronic tach is needed? Guess that makes sense. It's a pertronix distribitor - do they make tachs that fit their distributors?
Thanks again
Jere
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If your new distributor does not have a mechanical tach drive like the original, then you have to go with something else. It's not a matter of electronic distributor needing an electronic tach

No mechanical drive then the only choice is an electronic tach

Electronic tachs do not connect to the distributor. They usually connect to the coil,
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
bms-3

Post by bms-3 »

You can have the tach modified to an electronic tach. This replaces all internals but leaves the face of the tach with the stock look.

D&M Restorations in Greenville, SC specializes in refurbishing antique gauges for cars. They converted my ‘57 T Bird tach to electronic and it works great. Look for their website online.