Help! Speedo and rev counter not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

irlnick

Help! Speedo and rev counter not working

Post by irlnick »

Hi, I recently imported an amazing 1956 Ford Thunderbird and the speedo, rev counter and mileometer are not working, has anyone any suggestions what I can check first? Also if you have and photos which can assist that would be useful also. Many thanks., Nick
CSPIDY

Re: Help! Speedo and rev counter not working

Post by CSPIDY »

I would suggest checking to ensure the cables are connected under the dash and at the transmission and engine. If they are then you will need to disconnect them and check the cable condition.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome, I would first check the drive gear located on the bell housing transmission, I would remove the drive gear (plastic) the count the number of teeth and or replace it. Check the cables make sure their screwed on tight.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The tachometer (rev counter) runs from the gauge to the distributor. As mentioned, check to see if the cable is installed at both points. If they are, then undo one end and check the inner cable to make sure it is not broken.. There is a plastic gear located in the distributor that the inner cable goes into and usually comes out when the outer cable is removed. Make sure that is intact and check it on the cable to see if the hole has rounded out.

The speedometer cable end at the transmission has the same type plastic gear and inner cable. Make the same checks as above. If you undo the speedo cable at the trans end, have a friend/spouse check the speedo for movement when you turn the inner cable.

The inner cable on the speedo has to removed from the speedo end. It is usually dirty and greasy so be sure to put something in the floor before removal. Both cables (tach and speeedo) are available from the Tbird parts suppliers.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

All of the suggestions above sound good to me; related to this question, anybody have suggestions for tach bounce only at idle. Readout is smooth everywhere but from about 450 to 750 rpm. Between this range it bounces badly while engine is smooth.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

It might be a lubrication issue. There is a small hole at the top of the unit to put in some light oil. It's really difficult to put oil in while the gauge is mounted - the best way is to remove the gauge and lube it. You don't need a lot of oil there.
Hazard 56 T Bird wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:57 pm All of the suggestions above sound good to me; related to this question, anybody have suggestions for tach bounce only at idle. Readout is smooth everywhere but from about 450 to 750 rpm. Between this range it bounces badly while engine is smooth.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

check to see if the connections are tight....
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks Paul & Icon. I will try oiling the Tach and although pretty sure its tight at the Tach, will check it at Dizzy.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks Paul!

After cleaning out the hole I oiled the tach per your suggestion and it smoothed out; thank you!
cwwaddell

Post by cwwaddell »

I do not see a hole on the tach to apply the oil. Can someone post a photo of this hole?
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a picture of the back of the Tach, put a drop of oil/graphite where the arrow shows, You may also place a little oil /graphite around the housing neck..... Here' a clearer picture of the back side of the Tach.
Attachments
Tachometer 001.jpg
tach 001.jpg
VTCI Member # 12309