Manual Transmission Removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

Manual Transmission Removal

Post by Florida_Phil »

I want to remove the transmission from my 1955 Thunderbird to change the clutch, replace some seals and clean things up under there. The car is a manual three speed with O/D. Will I need to pull back the carpet to get to the shifter linkage? Can I disconnect the shifter arms from the transmission and leave the shifter itself bolted in the car? I understand the transmission cross member is removable in a 55. Anything I should be aware of before I do this?
55Greg&Amy

Re: Manual Transmission Removal

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

In order to remove the transmission without partially disassembling it and partially assembling it during instal, it MUST come out the top with the engine. Easiest to leave it attached to the emgine and pull it as an assembly.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Too unwieldy. I prefer to take the trans out the bottom and the engine out the top. It's been many years since I did this on a small TBird. Does the shifter have to come out of the car to remove the transmission?
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

The instructions are in the 1957 Shop Manual and I would assume they are in the 1955 Shop Manual also. The short answer to your question is that you don't need to remove the shift linkage, just disconnect it from the transmission. The engine does not need to be removed either.
Regards,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Thank you. That's the answer I was looking for. I didn't know if the stock manual trans shifter mechanism was like a Hurst shifter and had to be unbolted.
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

Is it the same for the 56 as far as not having to remove the motor to get the 3spd tranny out.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

YES
ranchbird wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 pm Is it the same for the 56 as far as not having to remove the motor to get the 3spd tranny out.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

I am posting this reply for the benefit of other 1955 Thunderbird owners. To remove a stock overdrive three speed manual transmission from a 1955 Thunderbird, you should remove the engine. If you don't you will not be able to move the transmission far enough back for the input shaft to clear the bellhousing. The problem is the governor and O/D solenoid hit the X frame and the transmission tunnel is very small in a 55 Bird. The shifter mechanism also interferes. You could remove the radiator and move the engine forward. The shop manual says to remove the clutch, pressure plate and bellhousing with the transmission. On these cars, I think it's just as easy to take the engine out. Reinstall the engine and transmission as a unit. I suspect you could remove a non O/D three speed, but it would still be a hassle.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

Interesting thread.

What is the consensus on removing a 3spd with OD in a 57?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

I have been told the 57 Bird has a welded in transmission cross member. My 55 transmission cross member is bolted in and removable. If this is true, a 57 with O/D would be worse. A 57 Bird with O/D would also have a heavy duty T85 transmission which is much larger than my T86. However, the 57 tunnel is larger to compensate. Either way, I think it would be better to remove the engine from the car or at least lift it and move it forward. It's really tight under there.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

Thanks Phil, it looks like I need to put it on the hoist and do some investigation of my oil leaks. Will read the manual as well I guess. ::?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D