55 Dash Removal Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

55 Dash Removal Question

Post by Florida_Phil »

This summer I will be removing the dash from my 1955 TBird. On the Internet I found detailed instructions for removal. The instructions say to disconnect the 14401 harness under the hood and feed harness into car interior. I assume this allows removal of the dash and the 14401 harness as one unit. Is it easier to do it this way or disconnect the wires from the dash and instruments and leave the harness on the firewall? Thank you!
Joe Johnston

Re: 55 Dash Removal Question

Post by Joe Johnston »

My concerns are not with the removal, but with the install after restoration. Disconnecting the harness and feeding through will allow you to view the entire under dash wiring arrangement. Label everything, and take lots of pictures. Much easier to reassemble on the bench than in the car.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Sounds like a good idea. That way I can sort out any wiring issues on the bench instead of standing on my head. Thanks!
billotis41@gmail.com

Post by billotis41@gmail.com »

where did you find the detailed dash removal on what internet site? Bill
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

The following post is from 11-21-2001 Dash Removal

Brian,

I've hesitated in responding because it has been a few years since doing this and I as afraid of leaving out something important. I don't know how far you are stripping down the car so let's assume you're only removing the dash.

(1) Always remove the top,seat, and steering column first
(2) Remove hardware at dash attaching the parking brake, hood release and windshield wiper switch. Disconnect speedo and tach cables.
(3) Remove ash tray tracks and radio.
(4) Remove heater control and disconnect heater blower wires.
(5) Disconnect left air cable under hood. Disconnect all wires under hood that are part of the 14401 harness. Remove harness clamp at firewall. Feed harness into car interior.
(6) Remove all bright trim from dash ends and windshield.
(7) Remove all dash/body attaching screws. I think there are ~ 5 or 7 along bottom of windshield. Remove the bolts that attach the dash to the "L" shaped brackets under the front of the dash near the front of the door opening. Do not remove the brackets from the cowl. Make sure you dont misplace the unique washers used at this attachment point. Remove courtesy light switches from hinge pillars.

(8) There are a couple wiring connections inside the car at the trans tunnel and coming off the steering column that we haven't mentioned, so just use common sense and logic and it should go smoothly.
(9) One person at each end of the dash should be able to remove the dash and Main harness fairly easy.

Tom