Reviving a bird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

WedgeheadV8

Reviving a bird?

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

Just a quick update. I have a black with red interior 57 bird. Its a 312 automatic, 4 barrel car. The car is nothing special. It has 64,000 miles and from my paper work never been restored but touched up over the years The engine did get "supposedly" rebuilt by a ford dealer. I pulled the car, valve covers and started looking things over. Its been a few years since I did that and I finally got to look into the top of the engine and I had an odd feeling after looking over the rocker arms. Something just looked off and there was! I had a pushrod come out of the rocker arm..........really? I pulled the rocker arm assembly off and my fear was right! It was bent. I checked the others on the passenger side. The rest are ok. Its a smaller diameter rod. I for the sake of sanity puled the drivers side rocker assembly and pulled the rods to check them. They are fine but thicker in diameter?????? Now the engine also has a canister of the bottom front of the engine block that would normally be a blank off plate. I wonder if the engine is from a passenger car? Now do I get a complete set of 16 push rods? Replace the one? Replace 8 to which ever is available or put a FE427 in it? (kidding about the 427!)
paul2748

Re: Reviving a bird?

Post by paul2748 »

I always kike to see an early Bird being revived. Good luck with your new endeavor.

It is not unusual to find two different thickness pushrods in a YBlock. The original equipment ones were very thin in diameter while some replacements were tubular and thicker. They are the best ones to use. Make sure the replacements are the same length as these varied over the years. The pushrod may have been bent because a valve got hung up. Make sure all the valves are free.

The small canister on the left side of the block was used on sedans. The early birds had a draft tube located at the back of the valley cover. The rebuilt engine may have come from a sedan and the rebuilder or prior owner may have used some of the sedan parts. If you have the draft tube at the rear, then you should remove it and use the blank off plate. If it does not have the back road draft tube then the canister on the side is better than nothing.

Do you have the spacer between the water pump and the front cover? This is Tbird specific and if the engine is from a sedan the Tbird specific parts may not have been used.

Before replacing the rocker assembly, clean the tube out. There are plugs at either end that can be removed. Replacements usually can be found at a parts store or from John Mummert (YBlock parts guy). John can supply new pushrods. www.ford-y-block.com

You mbent
WedgeheadV8 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 pm Just a quick update. I have a black with red interior 57 bird. Its a 312 automatic, 4 barrel car. The car is nothing special. It has 64,000 miles and from my paper work never been restored but touched up over the years The engine did get "supposedly" rebuilt by a ford dealer. I pulled the car, valve covers and started looking things over. Its been a few years since I did that and I finally got to look into the top of the engine and I had an odd feeling after looking over the rocker arms. Something just looked off and there was! I had a pushrod come out of the rocker arm..........really? I pulled the rocker arm assembly off and my fear was right! It was bent. I checked the others on the passenger side. The rest are ok. Its a smaller diameter rod. I for the sake of sanity puled the drivers side rocker assembly and pulled the rods to check them. They are fine but thicker in diameter?????? Now the engine also has a canister of the bottom front of the engine block that would normally be a blank off plate. I wonder if the engine is from a passenger car? Now do I get a complete set of 16 push rods? Replace the one? Replace 8 to which ever is available or put a FE427 in it? (kidding about the 427!)
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
WedgeheadV8

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

I just want to get the pushrods squared away. I do have a spacer between the water pump/pulley and the fan. The car is decent with some issues that will eventually show its ugly side on the body. All in all its a good driver at best.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The spacer I mentioned is between the water pump and the front cover. Not the spacer between the fan blade and the water pump pulley. If you do not have this, then the engine most likely came out of a sedan.

Just to clarify my previous response. If you have the rear road draft tube besides the side canister, then the canister s/b removed.
WedgeheadV8 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm I just want to get the pushrods squared away. I do have a spacer between the water pump/pulley and the fan. The car is decent with some issues that will eventually show its ugly side on the body. All in all its a good driver at best.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
crustysack

Post by crustysack »

For about $50-60 for the whole set might as well do all of them
WedgeheadV8

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

I went back out to the garage today. Made up my mind to do all 16 pushrods. I am also going to have to reassemble and adjust the valves. Its been a long time since I have done it. This should be fun. What is the correct length for 57 for pushrods?
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

1956-59 y-blocks were 8.125"

Bottom of the page...http://www.ford-y-block.com/valvetrain.htm
WedgeheadV8

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

Well I have the car up on all fours. I straightened the pushrod and installed the rocker arms. Then I using a ratchet spun the motor over to make all the valves opened and closed. Put new gaskets on the valve covers and installed them. Put the coil and ballast on the intake.

My wife has changed her mind about the car and wants to sell it. The issue I have is that it needs work to be a good driver. SO I pose this question...….a 1957 T-Bird with a contested 64,000 miles (Maryland and the seller to my father in law screwed up and checked a box they shouldn't have and I have all the records up to the time showing the mileage never rolled over.) been off the road since 1986 is worth what? Its all there and was driven into storage. It have never been restored just areas repaired due to dents, dings and scratches. I have records going back tot he early 1960ies. I would love to get it running with a new gas tank and put new brakes: drums, wheel cylinder, master and flex hoses.
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

Unfortunatly the market for Birds is in a slow decline.

Theres a glut of them availiable due to folks in similar circumstances as yours.

I would estimate 15K tops.

Oldmics
misha1957

Post by misha1957 »

These are very fun cars on the road in my opinion. The wife might change her mind. My wife has a good time ridding in ours. I saw that you're in Maryland; do you ever attend any cruises in the Glen Burnie area? If you do and see a red '57 T-Bird, with white/red interior and aluminum mag wheels, stop and say hello; I'd like to help you out in some way if I can.
WedgeheadV8

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

Well guys this is goodbye! After 17 years of marriage to my soon to be ex-wife she is getting the car which is hers to sit and fall apart or dump money into it and someday be unsatisfied! Either way it's not my problem! Thanks for all your advice "mic drop"
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck as you move on Mike.

Been there and done that also. It will be better up ahead.

Oldmics
misha1957

Post by misha1957 »

That's pretty rotten news. Sorry to hear/read it.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Wow ! Didn't see that coming..... Sorry to hear this.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
WedgeheadV8

Post by WedgeheadV8 »

Guys it’s fine. She has to deal with it. I just bought back the first cat I ever owned anyway which I get to keep after the divorce! A 1969 MGB-GT