56 Valve Cover Gasket Sealant ?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

goldwinghg

56 Valve Cover Gasket Sealant ?

Post by goldwinghg »

I am adjusting the valves on my 312 Y block (56 Tbrd). What should the valve gap be, and do I need to use a sealant on the valve cover gaskets. What type sealant if any.
paul2748

Re: 56 Valve Cover Gasket Sealant ?

Post by paul2748 »

Valve gad is 019.

Don't put any sealant on the surface that contacts the head as I can be real bear to remove the gasket later.

I use silicone sealant to "glue" the gasket to the valve cover. This stuff makes it easy to remove the gasket.

goldwinghg wrote:I am adjusting the valves on my 312 Y block (56 Tbrd). What should the valve gap be, and do I need to use a sealant on the valve cover gaskets. What type sealant if any.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

I know this is an older thread, but related ... How often should valve cover gaskets be replaced? What has been your experience in removing the covers, will the gaskets need replacing each time? how often do you remove the covers to check/adjust the lash?

(As many know I went through a camshaft, valve, pushrod breakdown in the fall and I don't want a repeat. So would like to make lash check part of my normal maintenance routine to catch anything early if I can)
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

I have neoprene gaskets (glued to alum. T-Bird covers with silicon) and don’t expect they will ever need replacement. I just reapply axle grease to install. I have interference thread/hex rocker screws, AND locknuts, so lash adjustment seldom required (usually only as parts wear in). Precision dialed gapper tool simplifies that (though practice is required to insure accuracy, as the reading changes when final torque is released).
BTW: I adjust cold/static, so exhaust gap is higher.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If I have cork gaskets, I replace them every time as heat cycles tend to dry them out and make them hard.. Additionally, once they have been compressed, they usually don't seal good anymore.

Not the case with rubber (neoprene) gaskets
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302