Adding to the rash of fuel pump issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

arussharris

Adding to the rash of fuel pump issues

Post by arussharris »

Hi team,

Tbird has been sitting for a minute and I've been away from the forum for a bit as a result. Seems to be a rash of fuel pump issues after perusing the last few weeks of posts. Got my own headscratcher to add to the mix...

Car cranks and starts up strong, fuel pump is chugging along fine however it is rhythmically squirting fuel out of the side vents on to the driver side suspension and firewall which is no bueno. Took me two minutes at Gil's garage to realize its most likely a worn diaphragm.

https://www.ctci.org/fuel-pump-leakage/

Subsequently spent the next two hours spinning my wheels looking for the part that I cant find on NPD, concours, etc. which brings me groveling back to the experts...

Anyone got a lead on where to find the fuel pump diaphragm? Should I just buy a whole new pump for $125ish? Full rebuild ebay kits look to be $75ish with a bunch of parts it doesnt need (yet), add that to my personal hourly rate and the invariable cost of me gooning it up makes me wonder if its all worth it.

Current pump is pumping and working great minus the vent leak. Can I change the diaphragm from underneath with the pump still attached to the car? Anyone opened on of these recently with any lessons learned or regrets?

Thanks team for the insight!
arussharris

Re: Adding to the rash of fuel pump issues

Post by arussharris »

In the vein of fuel topics...

With the young kiddos our time gets soaked up quite quickly and our baby birds sit more than they're driven although tinkering with them in the garage is still my sanctuary.

Anyone have strong feelings about an ethanol stabilizer other than the ole tried and true Sta-bil?

Anyone moreso subscribe to draining the tank when you know fuel is probably going to sit in the system?

TIA
arussharris

Post by arussharris »

Think I answered one of the questions with a superficial Youtube scan. The diaphragm is hooked to the pumper arm so definitely going to need to come off the car.

Simply enough to rebuild oneself or worth sending out to a pro? Any recommendations on reputable rebuilders?

TIA
Jim G

Post by Jim G »

Send it out to a Pro! If it’s a USA made pump versus China made, send it to Fuel pump overhaul pro in Texas. $125.00 best fuel pump money I have spent!!
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

If you have a fuel pump with the correct casting marks you don't want to discard it, or send it in as a core replacement. Personally, I receive a great deal of satisfication from rebuilding a fuel pump or water pump; I know that is not for everyone, but I suggest it.

Quality rebuild parts are essential and the same goes for any rebuilder you select as you are at their mercy to do the job correctly. Check out this video to see if you think you are up to the task of rebuilding a fuel pump. The Buick example is quite similar to the Ford pump we use. The rebuild parts this vendor sells are quality parts and I have used them. I've not used their rebuilding service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOjTKu3dys