Alernate Serial Number Locations

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Sicklesd

Alernate Serial Number Locations

Post by Sicklesd » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Need some help with alternate locations of the serial numbers on my 56 T-bird. I can read the serial # on top of the passenger side frame in the engine compartment, but the first 4 characters are very hard to read. They have a much smaller font than the other 6 numerical characters and are becoming illegible. In anticipation of possible issues with my bi-annual German safety inspection in the future, I want to pin point down the location of the other 2 hidden serial #’s on the frame. Even though the car has been titled/registered in Germany for years, they always cross check the serial # during the safety inspection.

It’s my understanding that the only another accessible # is stamped on the top of the rear cross member between the gas tank and rear bumper and located between to two main rails on the passage side, which could be read with a mirror on a 55 & 56 bird only, is that correct? I looked already, but couldn’t find it. I know it could be the result of dirt/grease, etc. on top of the rail, so I plan to clean with soap and water then use a little paint remover over the # location only. Before I do this I would like to pin down the actual location on top of the rear cross member frame. Can someone provide the approximate measurements from the inside of the passenger side main rail to the closest character on the rear cross member? Distance should start where the rail and cross member meet, not were the support bracket attaches to cross member.

The 3 location of the serial #, to my understanding, is at the rear of the X frame on the passenger side near the door opening and normally requires removal of the body to get access. Does anyone know if this # could be read with Borescope/Endoscopic inspection camera w/45 degree mirror, if the area was clean enough? Has anyone cutout a portion of the floor above the # to get access? This would be a last resort only, but was just thinking about making a small removable view plate in floor over the # so I could have access when needed. Both of the above options would require pin pointing down the actual location on the passage side rear X frame, can some provide actual measurement for this location using reference points?

Thanks in advance
Dan

Oldmics

Re: Alernate Serial Number Locations

Post by Oldmics » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:49 pm

The only time that I encountered a serial number on the frame that was in a different and a multiple location was one time on a 56. It was stamped at the futher most rear cross member behind the rear axle.

It is in a position that removal of the body is absolutely necessary! No way to see it otherwise.

I have heard of the serial numbers being stamped in the other location that you have mentioned but have never encountered it anywhere.

Oldmics

55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:38 pm

The first 4 on the frame of a 56 should be P6FH. Maybe try some paint remover and a stiff brush in that area but don’t sand it or you’ll make them even harder to see
Greg Minnich
Fort Wayne, In

RMF64

Post by RMF64 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:47 am

Hi

I have the body off the chassis on my 55 at the moment. Its been blasted and epoxy coated so is squeaky clean.

Its at the body shop at the moment so I can't inspect it right away, but I do have a few photos. From the photos, I can see that there is a chassis number stamped on the top of the rearmost cruciform frame member on the passenger side directly above the large hole for the exhaust. Its towards the rear edge of the cruciform member parallel to the trailing edge. Its stamped pretty deep in the metal, so you may be able to feel it if you run your fingers across the top of the frame in that area.

I can't see any other numbers on the frame from the photos, but next time i'm over there i'll have a look for you and take some detailed photos.

I have struggled posting photos, so I may need you to PM me an e-mail address........

I guess this only helps if the 55 and 56 were stamped in the same place, but worth a try.

Cheers
Robin

Sicklesd

Post by Sicklesd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks Oldmics, Greg and Robin for your reply.

I already know my complete serial #, verified by the data plate and serial # on top of passenger side of main rail in the engine compartment, but again it is very hard to read the 1st 4 characters. According to Dave Tulowitzky of the 55-57 T-bird registry, the serial # is located at 2 other locations (see http://www.tbird.info/thunderbird-stamp ... 5-1957.htm ), but info did not provide any measurements of the exact location from a given point on the frame.

Robin, I will try to PM you so you can send the pictures, it would be greatly appreciated. I think they will help me a lot to located the at least the location you mentioned. Next item you see your frame, I would really appreciate it if you could provide measurements from specific points on the underside or side of the frame. Measurements from a point on the underside of frame to the approximate start location of the serial # on frame top would be preferred since my car is still in its original state, that would provide less interference when determination location on my car.

Thanks again everyone. Dan

Sicklesd

Post by Sicklesd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks to Robin I was able to locate one of two alternate serial number locations on the frame of my 56, It was located on the top of the rear portion of the X on the passenger side, right above the center of the hole for the exhaust pipe and more toward the inside of the X frame. I was able to read it with a small minor and strong light, it matched the data plate and # on frame in engine compartment. Again the first 4 characters were a smaller font that numbers, but I was able to read it using a minor. This was not ideal since the characters were reversed and very hard to read because space was so limited, but was very glad to know the exact location and it matched. Next I will try it with Borescope/Endoscopic inspection camera w/45 degree mirror, hopefully that will work a lot better. in lieu of removing the body off the frame, I guess I could actually make a small removal view plate over the serial number, if needed. Nothing appears to be in the way other than maybe the seat would need to be removed, haven't looked yet to see if the seat will move forward enough. Occurs the seat would need to come out when making the view plate.

I still haven't found the serial number on the rear cross member between the gas tank and rear bumper and located between to two main rails on the passage side. I cleaned off the top of the passenger side rear rail, but no sign of it. I spoke with the restoration folks at CASCO and they stated that the serial numbers are not always in the same spot and sometimes not even put in alternate locations. If anyone knows of any other possible location or if I'm looking in the wrong location, please let me know.

Thanks Dan