Choke Plate Adjustment Holley 4000

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

tnswt12

Choke Plate Adjustment Holley 4000

Post by tnswt12 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Holley rebuilt this 4000 but did a less than desirable job adjusting the choke plates to the air horn assembly.

Upon closer inspection there is metal distortion at about 8 o'clock on an area of the left choke plate opening. This binding with the air horn caused the choke plate to stick in the partially closed position.

Holley used screws and lock washers to attach the choke plates to the choke stud so it was a simple job to remove the plates. Using a lint free towel or paper towel stuff it into the choke opening to prevent debris from entering the carburetor. I used a small metal file to work on the area with the disturbed metal making it nice and smooth.

With a little patience, I used the grinding wheel to reshape the left hand choke plate where needed. Eventually I achieved a slick operating choke plate.

Now the choke plates on this carburetor do not stick in the choke on position due to the plates binding with the air horn. Actually Holley Publication C-228 warns not to allow the choke plates to bind with the air horn assembly but that was overlooked with my rebuild.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

I attached a few pictures.
Attachments
IMG_1902.jpg
IMG_1901.jpg

ICON 1961

Re: Choke Plate Adjustment Holley 4000

Post by ICON 1961 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:17 am

I see that the left side plate was not seating down properly, after looking at the base of the Holley. the first picture shows a rude cut on the lower left side and the space between the plate...The second picture showed that you did a fine job of adjusting the plate. Did you use a Drumel with a stone bur to do the adjusting ?
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1997 Heritage Springer with Motorvation matching side Car Red/Birch White
VTCI Member # 12309

tnswt12

Re: Choke Plate Adjustment Holley 4000

Post by tnswt12 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 am

I did not use a Dremel tool.

Instead I used a bench grinder and softly touched the choke plate to the side of the grinding wheel until I removed enough metal to make the choke plate function smoothly within the opening of the air horn assembly.

Since I removed the finish with the grinding wheel I sprayed the plates to prevent further corrosion during use.