Anyone running widened steelies?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Blunt

Anyone running widened steelies?

Post by Blunt »

I have a bone stock 65 special landau that I feel would look great with some widened steelies and wide whites. Im a Vintage BMW guy so this is fairly new to me.. Looking for advice on back spacing and rim width. Ive done some searching and seen some guys running 17s but thats too big for me. Surely someone is running a similar set up?? Id like to run a square 15x8 set up if possible.. I have skirts but am willing to trim or remove. Thanks for any help
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Not sure what "Steelies" are :oops: Are they painted steel wheels with smaller hub caps?
Many years a go I tried some wide whites on my 64 but in my case they just didn't look right.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Blunt

Post by Blunt »

RedBird64 wrote:Not sure what "Steelies" are :oops: Are they painted steel wheels with smaller hub caps?
Many years a go I tried some wide whites on my 64 but in my case they just didn't look right.

Scott
Oh sorry Scott Yes Stock steel wheels widened to perhaps 8"
You didnt care for the look of the wide whites huh????
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

It could have had something to do with the overall look of the car and its $130 paint job :sad:
They were fake white walls! They were these 3" wide flap things that you installed in the bead of the wheel and they just laid flat against the tire. That is until you got a few freeway miles on them and the centrifugal forces made them stick out. Permanently.
Jeez, that's kind of embarrassing now (I was 17 then).
No wonder the car "didn't look right" - LOL!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RobbieTice

Re: Anyone running widened steelies?

Post by RobbieTice »

Running 17x7 steelies all the way around. I think they look much more proportional to the car size. (Car is a mess right now) Image
JETBRD66

Post by JETBRD66 »

Does your 65 have the disc brakes ? if so , finding rims maybe a little tough, been looking for a while myself, and not coming up with much, I have heard that some of the Ford wagons of the same years fit, but have not been able to confirm, those kelsey hayes brakes are monsters !
THE OLE TURD IN THE BIGBIRD

http://postimg.org/image/6wgpas7od/
LulaBird65

Post by LulaBird65 »

I’ve been looking into wider steel wheels also
Where did you score those 17’s?? What did they come off?
I like the wide whites on the TBird but it has to be the right color car...